Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mary Maxim is having a HUGE sale!
I had to make the trip to Mary Maxim in Paris, Ontario today (ahhh such a hardship that was!!!) to pick up two skeins of yarn to finish my shawl. It is a two hour drive from my home so I do not get there very often.

As I was walking towards the customer service desk in the yarn section, I saw a display with an adorable knit shrug on it. I instantly fell in love with this shrug. The book with the pattern was rather expensive and I decided I really could not afford it this trip. I said this to my DH. I must have been overheard!

As I was walking away from the display, an elderly lady called me over. She said "come here please" and led me around the corner of a shelving unit. Once there she explained to me that we (meaning she and I) had both fallen in love with the same shrug pattern, she had seen me ohhing and ahhing it, and told me that she was purchasing the pattern. She asked for my name and address, which I DID give to her. She then explained that she was going to photocopy the pattern and mail it to me so that I could have the shrug "we both loved so much". I was so pleased with her kindness!

We then got talking and she does a fair bit of KIP, and a lot of travelling. She complained that the airport would no longer let her bring her knitting onboard planes. I took her to the section where they keep the Denise Interchangable sets and showed them to her. I told her they were resin so the airlines should have no problem with allowing her to take them onboard. I even explained how each piece worked. She put the set in her basket.

She then said she was looking for a row counter. I showed her the one I had just put into my basket and explained that they had a HUGE sale on this item this month ($10 off the price they had been just before Christmas). She put one in her basket.

She then smiled a sweet "elderly lady smile", walked over to the salesclerk and said in a loud clear voice "please keep me away from that woman over there, or else I will have no money left when I leave this store". She and I both laughed, said goodbye and parted.

When DH and I got to the cash to pay for my two skeins of yarn, my Chibi and my new electronic row counter ($24.99 this month at Mary Maxim, item #4012), there stood the same lady again. She said she would (snail)mail the pattern out to me tonight. She said she was online on the computer and would include her e-mail address with the pattern. She said she had enjoyed her day trip and was going back home again tonight but was pleased to have had a chance to talk to someone "who knew so much about knitting" (she sure could NOT have been talking about me).

Again we parted, but I am sure I will hear from this lovely lady again.

F.Y.I. Mary Maxim is having a HUGE sale this month. They have many fine items reduced drastically.

I was lucky that my DH allowed me to get the row counter I have been covetting now for months and months. It is really the only "major" knitting item I did not have and I am thrilled with it. It is light(approx. 2 oz.), small (2-1/4" long x 1-1/4" wide x 1/2" deep), electronic (runs on a watch battery) and hangs around your neck on a piece of black ribbon (ribbon included). I am happy, so happy, so thrilled with this new gadget.

I also got an item called a Chibi, which is a small clear green plastic tube with a screw on lid, that holds darning needles. I'll never have to search for a darning needle again, or prick my finger on one when I DO happen to find it in the sewing basket!

The last thing left for me to get now is a ball winder *sigh*. Valentine's Day IS coming!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Last edited by The.Knitter : 01-19-2008 at 10:45 AM.
The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote