Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Lindsey H
Knitting the Flap

I thought of another one. When I was little my parents listened to country music. This was like 35 years ago so we are talking Tammy Wynette, Waylon Jennings and, well you get the picture. I used to watch HEE HAW but don't tell anyone. Well anyway, Kenny Rogers sang a song "Lucille". The lyrics are "Oh why did you leave me Lucille with 5 hungry children and a crop in the fields". Well for the longest time I thought he was saying
Five Hundred children .

For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential. -- Hans Asperger
Lindsey H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsey H For This Useful Post:
NegativeClock (02-26-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
gatorjade
1st Leg of the Journey

When I was little, one of my favorite songs was "Islands of Seals." (I learned several years later that the accurate title is "Our Lips are Sealed.")

I was also convinced that the mermaid/scuba diver figurines in fish tanks swam around, but only if they thought that they weren't being watched. I would spend entire afternoons trying to "catch them in the act!"

OTN: Drawstring Chemise (IK, Spring '08 Issue)

Last edited by gatorjade : 01-26-2008 at 11:30 AM.
gatorjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
Darcia
1st Leg of the Journey

I used to listen to allot of my parents records and do dance routines on the front lawn. Some of my favs were Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass, Sound of Music Soundtrack and Dolly Parton.
The funny thing is, I would use my mother's old nighties.
Darcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #44
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

My sister shared this story with me at Christmas. When I was little, my mom stayed home all day and my grandmother lived with us, so they spent a good part of the afternoon watching soap operas. And, since I was here, I watched them too. Well, we have one of those big hard plastic Santas that people put in their yards at Christmas, and apparently when I was about 4 or 5, we had just eaten Christmas Eve dinner, and I got up and started putting on my boots and my coat. My mom asked me where I was going and I replied, "I'm going to make love to Santa Claus." So, then I proceeded to traipse outside and kiss Santa on the cheek. I guess those soaps really can rub off on a person, even if they don't understand what's going on.

Also, I was obsessed with Little House on the Prairie, and when I was little my mom took me out shopping one day. The lady who waited on us asked me my name, and I told her my name was Laura Ingalls. She was either dim or very kind, because she told me that was a very pretty name.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #45
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by ladyjessica View Post
My sister shared this story with me at Christmas. When I was little, my mom stayed home all day and my grandmother lived with us, so they spent a good part of the afternoon watching soap operas. And, since I was here, I watched them too. Well, we have one of those big hard plastic Santas that people put in their yards at Christmas, and apparently when I was about 4 or 5, we had just eaten Christmas Eve dinner, and I got up and started putting on my boots and my coat. My mom asked me where I was going and I replied, "I'm going to make love to Santa Claus." So, then I proceeded to traipse outside and kiss Santa on the cheek. I guess those soaps really can rub off on a person, even if they don't understand what's going on.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #46
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I used to think that dill pickles on hamburgers were made in a factory and were plastic. Which is really funny because I knew my grandmother made dill pickles from cucumbers, but thought the ones in the stores were plastic. They looked too uniform and perfect to be "real."

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #47
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by kellyh57 View Post
Me too! My friend was doing a report on it and I thought it was a cute idea but couldn't figure out the controversial part!

Kelly
Wow I thought the same thing two weeks ago
Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #48
scout52
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ladyjessica View Post

Since we are talking about Santa, I'll share my Santa story. Well since I grew up in NYC we didn't have a chimney obviously since we lived in an apt. Well i got upset after my mother read up the night before christmas on the night before christmas (i was like 3) because we didn't have a chimney. So i made her leave the window open without the fire escape (our safety first) to make sure Santa could come in and not have to break in the front door. I had her do it every year until i realized Santa didn't exist. She was so sweet. Same for the easter bunny.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #49
starburst
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Darcia View Post
I used to think CCR were singing 'There's a bathroom on the right' in Bad Moon on the Rise.
I thought that same thing! I always assumed that he was trying to say that the guy he was singing to would be stuck there a while, so if he needed it, there was the bathroom.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #50
fargo_knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

My mother convinced me if I ate raw cookie dough, cake batter, or brownie batter I would get worms. I still feel really sneaky when I lick the beaters!

I insisted all of my stuffed animals sleep on the bed with me so I didn't hurt any of their feelings by leaving them on the floor or in my closet.

Growing up Catholic, my brother and I received alot of religious items from church. We would arrange them nicely on our dressers. One day my mom asked us to put some of them away because it was looking too cluttered. We both said "You can't put Jesus in a drawer. We will probably go to Hell!".

This is really gross.....I often saw "out of order" signs in the girls bathroom at school. I was convinced a person could only go #1 in public bathrooms and #2 broke the toilets.
fargo_knitting is offline   Reply With Quote