Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
bip
Turning the Heel

*Sigh* "Knitting" Group
About 2 years ago a friend of mine wanted me to teach her to knit. She thought it would be fun to get a bunch of us together for brunch, chatting, then knitting. We had so much fun, we started doing it every month. Well, not every month, but fairly regularly since then.

It has never really been a knitting group though. Only 3 of us actually knit, and often people don't even bring their needles/yarn. Some of the people never even really learned. It is actually just a chance to drink mimosas and chat about celebrities (about whom none of us really care, but we find it funny/ironic for professional women to sit around sharing celebrity gossip) and our jobs and kids (no one had kids when we started, but there has since been some breeding).

Fine. It is fun, and I would be knitting whether I was at home alone or in their company, so I have kept going. However, in the past 6 months, it has become increasingly tedious in that the focus has shifted to pregnancy/kids. It is a sensitive topic for me because I expected to start a family about 3 years ago, then DH needed a kidney transplant. Then he had 7 months of complications. During that time he had a revelation that he wanted to be a patent lawyer instead of a scientist (had his Phd, was doing a post doc) and is now in law school. We can't start our family for at least 2 more years, and I have a lot of anxiety about it anyway. I don't blame them that their focus has shifted, how couldn't it? It just isn't comfortable for me anymore.

Now they are turning it into a reading group. I am totally completely not interested. My other responsibility is that I have a horse, and I can't ride on days that I have knitting group. Because of my career, I can only ride 4x a week anyway and skipping that one day is a sacrifice for me.

I guess I'm just venting because I'm disappointed. It was fun at first and now I feel like I've lost something. We are all still friends, so fortunately it's not like I've lost friendships.

I guess I am just mourning a little because it could have been a fun thing and it never really got going and now it is gone.

Thanks for listening
bip is offline   Reply With Quote