Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Which laptop
DH and I decided to give DD my laptop, and then I can get a new one. My problem is that I don't know which one to get. I need something that will do school/light business stuff. Isn't ungodly expensive. I just want to get the most bang for my buck. I've hated my current laptop from the start. LOL It's just slow and, well, cheap.
Sooooo, what's a good one to get. Like I said, I need it for school/work and DH is deployed, so something that will allow for webchat would be nice (though I have a webcam, so an attached one isn't a must).
Thanks in advance. I know my fellow knitters won't do me wrong!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I always find http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-buying-guide/?tag=dir to be helpful as there are professional and home user reviews and they divide it into sections depending what you want it for and price
Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I just bought a Macbook pro. It's on the pricier side, but I'm very happy with it. You probably want her to have it for quite some time, given that you're spending $$ on it.

Dell is always a good name, as is Toshiba. My children have HP laptops, and I haven't had any problems.

The most important thing, IMHO, is RAM. Get it with as much RAM as possible on the front-end. Windows Vista takes a lot of memory to run, and laptops usually share their RAM with the video card. So, you may pay for 1gb, but the computer is really only running at 760mb.

I will say that Apple gives you student discounts on their products, so do look into it.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
yarnfreak (02-05-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

My Dad bought me my first Macintosh almost 30 years ago -- that first one lasted NINE years (what computer lasts THAT long these days?). I then went through some smaller Macs before getting a Mac Cube which also lasted nine years.

Two years ago, I got a MacBookPro and love it. My BF, on the otherhand, has had to buy a new PC every year for the past three years.

I'm a Mac girl and while most jobs I have had require PC knowledge, I will always own a Mac!
Carrie218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie218 For This Useful Post:
yarnfreak (02-06-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
We always had macs too until about 7 years ago, the software all had to be ordered from England as no local shops stocked it and the Mac version was always more expensive - maybe the popularity of iMacs brought the price down though... They're really easy to fix if they develop a problem though...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,478 Times in 528 Posts
I have a 17" Compaq (a.k.a HP) Notebook running Windows XP. It's been a very reliable creature, albeit, a little bit too bulky to be considered an easily toted notebook (10 pounds or so lasts about 1.5 hours on the battery). This fall, I purchased a new MacBook (not the pro). It's a featherweight by comparison and I have to say this is my favorite computer of all time and typically goes everywhere with me (~5lbs and 4 - 6 hours on the battery). I've never been a Mac advocate before this, but I very impressed with both the hardware and the OS X operating system. I think any future computers I purchase will be Macs. A nice plus side to the new Macs is they can also run Windows. I have my set up with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu. It allows me to easily test how KH looks and works with other browsers and operating systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
yarnfreak (02-06-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

i LOVE my dell, i have had so many parts fixed on it in the last year and half i basically have a new laptop(lugging it around to all my classes as a full time student-it has a rough life :P) The customer service is GREAT. just yesterday i did an iTunes update and it somehow deleted my sound capabilities so i hopped on to the dell site, started a chat with a technician, they sent me the plug-in i was missing, i downloaded it and voila, i was set. No foreigner on the phone to deal with, gotta love the internet. My laptop has served me well, the one thing is batteries :( I dont know any student that hasnt had to replace theirs at 1 year and a month or so (they are warrantied for a year usually) and this is both mac and pcs, so either way be prepared.
my bf has a mac, and his complaint is customer service, he has been treated very rudely by service reps. my complaint about my pc, its a smidge on the heavy side, but if i didnt carry it in my bag everywhere every day im sure i wouldnt mind it so much

Last edited by princess : 02-05-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
yarnfreak (02-06-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
starburst
Knitting the Flap

I have to agree--Macs are amazing. I've had my iBook for three years now and the battery is still going strong.

I wouldn't suggest the new macbook air, however, because it doesn't have a cd rom, which is kinda a pain in the butt. I would suggest getting a refurbished macbook pro
yarnfreak (02-06-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,478 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
I wouldn't suggest the new macbook air, however, because it doesn't have a cd rom, which is kinda a pain in the butt.
Same here. That's my only issue with Mac design: They often choose form over function. The Air is super thin and looks superb, but it comes at the cost of having an under-powered, limited use laptop. I suppose for the right person it's perfect.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Thanks everybody. I ended up going with a Toshiba Satellite. It's kinda big, but so far I like it. I think I might go Mac in the future, though. I've never used one, but I hear they are pretty user friendly.