Old 02-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
I have endometriosis (which can run hand in hand with PCOS) but at this point I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS. There is a lot of things you can do to help control the PCOS. The biggest thing I learned from having endo is do your research. The more you know the better. Unfortuantely there is only a handful of doctors in the US that really know and study endometriosis. You need to educate yourself so you can figure out the best things for you. There is even a lot of natural things you can to help yourself.

For years I was in continous pain. I coudln't get up and function I hurt so bad. I got off all my meds (I wouldn't suggest that without researching first though) and started eating better, excersizing (weight has never been an issue for me) and taking vitamins and something called NPC (natural progestrone cream). That in itself has made a world of difference. Now I'm not curred, I still have bad days, but atleast 24 days of the month I feel great. Before I was lucky to have 4 good days the ENTIRE month! The NPC also helped me to conceive my son!

Research sweetie. That's all I can stress. Because the doctors don't know everything and only YOU know how you really feel inside!

*big hugs*

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secksiebrat For This Useful Post:
bethany (02-09-2008), stacyk9 (02-06-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #22
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Oh, Stacy, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so alone dealing with all of this! Sounds like your husband is wonderful, and I know you'll always be able to find lots of support here. Maybe you can hook up with some of the KHers in your area, too. I don't have any good advice for you, but just wanted to add my HUGS!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (02-06-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Crash course in simple stress relief:
The act of breathing deeply and slowly eases the tension of the muscles in your chest that can tighten up the chest and increase pressure on your heart and lungs, slows your lungs so that they work more efficiently at exchanging oxygen for metabolic wastes, plus when you take in more oxygen your heart doesn't need to beat as fast or as often. All of this eases tension and stress, so take time several times a day to just breathe. Try lying down with your eyes closed and your hands on your abdomen...breathe in with the muscles of your abdomen loose enough so that your belly rises and falls with your breathing. After several breaths move your hands to your chest and try to expand your ribcage with every breath so that your chest rises and falls. And remember when you are sitting to sit upright...slouching forward actually compresses your ribcage and makes it hard for you to take more than small breaths (low oxygen levels actually cause anxiety to rise as a biochemical response).

DO research the conditions and learn all you can.

DO investigate all medicinal and non medicinal treatments--but remember that they don't all mix safely so consult your doctor or pharmacist (some herbs have side effects, and some meds require you to avoid certain foods).

DO come here and vent a little, and update us all on how you're doin'!
bethany (02-09-2008), Indygirl (02-06-2008), stacyk9 (02-07-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #24
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Thank you all again for all the wonderful love and advice! Once I got home from work the other day I sat and talked to DH and it helped me get my anxiety about the situation under control. I've done alot of research and I decided I didn't need to go to a dietician, just yet. My doctor recommended a low-glycemic diet, basically as if I were diabetic, so I bought the book "The Insulin Resistance Diet". I found it from a PCOS message board and everyone there really seemed to find the "diet" very simple to follow and very easy to adapt into "regular life". If I just can't get it on my own, I happen to know a dietician and I will start meeting with her. I also went to the recreation center here on campus where I get a discount since I am an employee and signed up for the semester, so I will start working out next week. While I was signing up I noticed a couple exercise bikes, the kind where you sit back and just move your feet, and the ladies on the bikes were reading magazines. I think this sounds like an excuse to bring my knitting with me. Who can beat knitting and exercising at the same time?!?

After stepping back a little bit and thinking of the situation, I can see that maybe this was a good thing. I have been talking about getting healthy and starting to exercise for so long that it just became rhetoric for me, but this has given me the push I needed to actually make it happen. Not only will this benefit me, but my DH and DS as well. It wouldn't hurt for all of us to be eating a little healthier!

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Atta girl!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #26
texas1107
Ribbing the Cuff

Good for Stacy!! I'm proud of you for turning this into a positive situation. You'll do great now!!
texas1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Hi Stacy! I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It's very scary to be diagnosed with something that is very serious. I too have PCOS, and cinnamon is said to help with insulin resistance, as is glucophage (insulin resistance can go along with PCOS); glucophage is also prescribed to help with conception. A higher "bad" cholesterol and a lower "good" cholesterol are pretty common with PCOS, and as I mentioned above, insulin resistance can be too; it can lead to something called "Syndrome X". Try replacing your foods with whole grains only--no "white" foods (white potatoes, white flour, white bread, white rice, etc.) as much as you can, plenty of fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, and add "good" fats to your diet--omega 3 primarily (flaxseed oil and fish are two sources); coconut oil is supposed to be a healthy fat source, too--I pop my popcorn in it . Of course, exercise and plenty of water are good things, but exercise is so hard when you are wiped out tired all the time.

Here are some PCOS sources of information that I hope can help you:
Natural remedy ideas (but discuss with your doctor)
PCOS Association
Treatments
Facts about PCOS

Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet's book, "It's My Ovaries, Stupid!", is a good source of information on female health in general. There is some information in there specifically about PCOS that may be helpful.

Just changing a few things in my diet alone helped my "good" cholesterol to increase, so it doesn't necessarily mean you have to make a lot of huge changes to make a difference. The best thing you can do to be a fighter is to arm yourself with lots of knowledge. You know your own body best, better than any doctor will. After reading from various sources on PCOS and gathering advice, try some things that make sense to you to help your health, starting with the most basic part which is diet and exercise. If something the doctor prescribes or advises doesn't feel right, tell them, and be persistent. It sounds like common sense, but there are some doctors that don't really want to take symptoms seriously and kind of dismiss things. Your health is important, your body is important, and don't let anyone brush you off. We're all here if you need to talk.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookworm For This Useful Post:
bethany (02-09-2008)