Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Rosalie - You can do it! The biggest problem I had when casting on was figuring out what 'spin your needle 180 degrees' meant. Which part did you get stuck on? Maybe I can help. I'll try to explain the cast on:

When you cast on you'll be holding the needle up and down so that the two points of the needle are facing North and South.

Put your two slip knots on the needle. Yarn A's slip knot (with the working yarn on the right side of the needle) should be put on the needle first so that it sits below yarn B's slip knot (with the working yarn on the left side of the needle). (Took me a minute to figure that out cause in the article it doesn't show you which color yarn is which letter in the example)

Now make your first cast on stitch with color A and put it on your working needle on top of your current yarn B so that now you have three stitches A, B, A on your needle. Make sure the new stitch you just put on your needle has the working yarn hanging off the needle on the right side. (Your one B stitch still has the working yarn hanging from the left side)

Ok, you're still holding the needle up and down in the same position. Now you're going to flip your wrist to the left so that the working yarn from yarn A is now on the left and the working yarn from yarn B is on the right. Knit with yarn B and put that new cast on stitch on top of the stitch you just made with yarn A.

Flip your wrist back to the right so that all the working yarn from yarn A is on the right again and the working yarn from yarn B is back on the left side of the needle and make a cast on stitch with your yarn A.

Keep going slowly back and forth until you have cast on the total # of stitches that you want. In the end it sorta looks like a caterpiller.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #22
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

I am holding my yarn this way---
"front" yarn with my right hand
"back" yarn with my left hand
I tried the little thimble thing that seperated the yarn for you, but could not figure out how to get tension on my 2 yarns that way.
Today at work I turned my heel and got my gusset done and now just knitting on the foot.
It looks really good but since my socks are so tiny I didn't notice I had forgotten to loop back to the front a couple of times on the leg of the sock.
I don't feel I can drop the stitch and get rid of the loop since my heel is already done. I don't think I can fix them. Bummer.
But making these socks even with that mistake has made me want to go forward with "life size" ones. I think I can catch the problems easier.
Here's my tiny socks with the heel turned...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 socks heel.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	46752  

oneskein is all you need to knit happy
oneyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

One yarn - Your sock looks fabulous!

What's the little thimble thing that separates yarn for you?

I have a little over an inch done of the leg and I feel like it's taking forever! I will try to separate the yarn into both hands and see if it's any easier. I can't wait to get to the heel!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #24
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

The thimble thing is by Clover and they call it a yarn guide.
It didn't work for me. You might have better luck with it and tell me what I am doing wrong. I found just holding the yarn in different hands worked great for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to oneyarn For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (02-08-2008)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I am an English knitter, so I figured if I'm going to knit with both hands I better watch a how to Continental knit demonstration. I watched the one here on this site and another from uTube and I gotta say - It's so much more efficient!

I just finished knitting 2 rows with my front yarn in my right and my back yarn in my left as Oneyarn did and it's much easier than holding both of the yarns in my right hand.

Has anyone ever switched from knitting English syle for many years to Continental? I'm having the hardest time keeping the tension as I'm Continental knitting, but I guess it's like learning how to knit for the first time. Practice, practice and more practice!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the info! I had no idea such things were made. I will look for it in the store. In the mean time, I'm going to practice my Contiental knitting.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #27
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Ugh I'm so frustrated!

I discovered two different spots where the 2 socks collided on the leg. I tried to fix it by using a crochet needle as stated in the article, but in the end the yarn won.

I have completely unraveled and will start again. I've decided that the silver lining in all this is that I can now use a smaller needle to get the correct gauge.

*sigh*

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I have re-cast on and I'm going to make sure it will be my last time. I'm being very dilligent making sure there aren't any mistakes before moving onto the next needle. So far I have 10 rows done in a k2,p2 rib.

Needle: US 1 (2.25mm) dpns
Yarn: Regia Silk Color - Colorway 190... I got it on clearance at my LYS this summer
Cast on #: 64 for each sock for a total of 128

I will post a progress picture when I'm done with the leg. It may take me the better part of this month.

Oneyarn - are you done with your sock? I'd love to see a picture.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Still working on the tiny socks, but have regular size ones going on some other dpn's.
Will post a picture later this week.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #30
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

i kept knitting the 2 socks together somehow......
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote