Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

Pattern for Lion Chenille Prints?
Hi all!

Some friends just gave me a beautiful skein of lion's brand lion chenille prints yarn (about 125 meters). However, I have no idea what to knit with it. I haven't been able to find any patterns online for this kind of yarn. Does anybody have a pattern for this yarn or that you think would look good with this yarn?

Thanks!
Rebecca

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://cache.lionbrand.com//yarns/LionChenille.htm

Here is a list of patterns Lion Brands has designed using this yarn. I'm afraid they don't recommend it for knitting - just crochet. Doesn't mean you can't ignore their recommendations, though.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

I have every intention of ignoring the Lion's Brand reccommendation because I cannot crochet and I don't know anybody who does.

I am not very familiar with knitting with cheneille. What sort of patterns would knit up well with it?

Thanks!
Rebecca
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
If you only have one skein that will be limiting. Those type of yarns tend to hide the stitches so you won't want to do anything fancy, but I would think you could make a nice hat or scarf with it though.

Okay, I looked up the yarn on ravelry to see what people were making with it. Looks like mostly wrist warmers, fingerless mitts, hats and scarves. Is it the thick and quick or is it worsted weight?

ETA: On the Lion Chenille Prints page on Rav it says it's not recommended for knitting. I'm not sure why.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I have some single color chenille and it's awful for knitting. There's not stretch or give to it so it's hard to make it in a decent st pattern. Stockinette or garter or some variation would probably work best.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

This is the worsted weight yarn (although I have some thick and quick at home that my mom bought me and I have no idea what to do with that either. I wish people would stop buying me chenille and give me gift certificates instead!).

I was thinking a hat, given I have only one skein and I probably won't buy another. I'm also curious about why we're not allowed to knit with it. Maybe the friction between the yarn and the knitting needles creates a fire hazard and the yarn could possibly burst into flames?

So a fairly simple stockinette or garter stitch hat it is! Thanks for the suggestions. If there's any specific pattern that you think would look good, let me know.

Thanks for the advice!
Rebecca
Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Miss Moosey View Post
I'm also curious about why we're not allowed to knit with it. Maybe the friction between the yarn and the knitting needles creates a fire hazard and the yarn could possibly burst into flames?
Well, they didn't say you weren't allowed to knit with it, it just said it wasn't recommended. I'd guess from Sue's comment about it not having give or stretch is probably the reason.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I have no idea why they don't recommend knitting with the one - the thick & quick has a ton of knitting patterns created by it.

Why not look at tome of those and see if anything appeals to you. You'd have to do some fudging with the size to adjust to the chenille yarn since the thick & quick is much bullkier.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I thought of getting another skein and knitting mine doubled, but I had got it on discount at Joann's and they didn't have any more of that color. I used the thick one to make a bag on size 8s (I wanted this dense) and that was a lot easier to work with than the worsted weight, even on the teeny needles.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote