Old 02-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Dyson vacuums-Update page 4 bought the Dyson
My three year old Bissell bit the dust a couple of days ago, it literally disintegrated. Now this wasn't a vacuum that got abused, we have a central vac system but we used the Bissell on our carpet, a whole four rooms.
My husband wants a Dyson, I say they are outrageously priced but if they are that much better I'll buy it. Anybody have one, have had one, has a relative or friend with one? What's the verdict on them?

Last edited by stitchwitch : 02-24-2008 at 05:18 PM.
stitchwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Sharly
Turning the Heel

I have one. First of all, you may know, I have 9 (NINE!) indoor cats. The dyson is by far the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in that price range*. I have mostly hard surfaces, which it does great on, but the area rug in my living room has a black border (I have no black cats) and really demonstrates the ability of the dyson to clean. It is easy to use and does a great job. We have had it now for, oh, probably a little over two years I think, and have had no problems with it at all.

It has a nice long cord and that is a wonderful feature. The container is simple to dump (but always do that in an outside receptacle <---voice of experience), and the attachments are all useful.

*I mention the price range because I once had a Rainbow, and while it always did a fantastic job, it was way more expensive than my Dyson and quite cumbersome to use. I found it to be inconvenient and I was always quite conflicted about where to dump the dirty water.

I'm sure there are others who may have had a different experience with the Dyson, but for our purposes (and I think we really put it to the test), it does a super job!

If hubby is willing, I say don't fight it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharly For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
bethany
Turning the Heel

2 kids, 2 cats, 1 messy dh and a bad housekeeper....

I LOVE my Dyson. It is so worth the $. If you'd gotten one 3 years ago, you'd not be replacing it, so you wouldn't have spent what you did for Bissel...it's worth it, IMHO.

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

I love my Dyson. It works WAY better than my Kirby did and that was a $1200 vacuum. I always thought my Kirby did a great job until I got my Dyson, and saw what real suction power does. Plus there are no bags, belts, or filters to replace. I had mine for a month before my mom went and bought one too.

Now I can't say that the Dyson is the best out there though. There may well be other vacuums out there that work just as well or better, but I am not disappointed in my Dyson at all. I believe they're expensive because you never have to buy any bags or belts which would continue the revenue for the company. Once a Dyson is sold, that's all they get from you.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
I don't have one so I can't say. Everyone who has one seems to love them though.
Strangely Consumer Reports rates them rather low.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Nikkilc
1st Leg of the Journey

I have had a dyson for a few yrs and they are great

nikkiknit
Nikkilc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikkilc For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
tootie44
Knitting the Flap

I did not want to spend the money either...but after getting a cheaper one that was top rated by consumer reports, and having it clog up after only 15 minutes I bit the bullet.

The thing is amazing!! I can vacuum a rug that looks clean and get a full canister of dirt and cat hair out of it. Best vacuum I have every used.

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with their 20% off coupon so at least I saved a little $$ that way.
frogger of sweaters and other large objects

tootie44 on Ravelry
tootie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tootie44 For This Useful Post:
Jen17 (02-25-2008), stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
nonny2t
Instepping Out

My dd has one and loves hers. She has a dog and a cat and hardwood, but still loves it.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-21-2008)
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

You guys rock! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for the tip on Bed Bath and Beyond too and thanks for the info on the belts, filters, etc. Now I just need to figure out which one I need.....
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
jdee
Working the Gusset

I LOVE my dyson. I was like you, about not wanting to pay that much money. In fact, we got ours at Home Depot, on clearance, when they were moving out the old model. After taxes, I think it ended up being a little over $300, which is actually inexpensive for one. I still balked at the price, but I was so wrong. It really is a great product...And as you may have read, I have multiple cats, too.

The only thing you want to be careful about is throw rugs. It'll try to suck them right in with the dirt. lol

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdee For This Useful Post:
stitchwitch (02-22-2008)