Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
KnitWit1987
1st Leg of the Journey

Crazy Animal Abusing Neighbors
So we have been living in our current house for about 1 year and a couple months. My fiance and I buy houses, fix them up and sell them. Because the housing market is so down right now we have lived here longer than expected. When we first moved in here the only neighbor that came to introduce herself was the lady directly across the street. She seemed nice. After awhile we started seeing her go out to get the mail it a short tee shirt and underwear (kinda weird but whatever) Then they let their yard grow into a jungle, her boyfriend would only mow a small piece of the yard where they parked one of their cars. We noticed a couple weeks ago that they were moving their stuff out in the middle of the night. Than, a realtor came to my door explaining the house was being foreclosed on and he wanted me to call him if they came by. Well I never seen them again. Magically, a cat started hanging out in my front yard. I started feeding the cat and I knew it was their cat and they had abandoned it. I know people go through hard times and I dont mind feeding it. Anyway, on Friday 4 people were over there cleaning the house out. They had filled 3 dumpsters up by the end of the day. On saturday, they had put a remax sign up so we walked over to look at the house. We were thinking we could buy it and it would be easy to fix up since it was just right across the street. So we are looking around, the house was cleaner but you could tell it had been a pig sty. Then we notice someone had written this crazy stuff on the walls. On one wall it said "money is now" then another said "kill the donkeys. Okay, obiously we were living across from some kind of drug addicts but it gets worse. I start talking to the guy and he tells me they found a dead cat that appeared to be thrown out on their deck and their was a cat dead in a pet taxi in the basement. He said there was no food or water in the taxi with the cat. This is where I am very very angry . Obiously these people were animal abuser and animal abuse is a felony in this state. Would someone please tell me why this guy just threw these poor dead animals away instead of calling the police? I am absolutly sick about this, I am a huge animal lover and to think this happened right across the street. If only I would have known bet your butt I would have been over there getting those cats. The worst part being they had a dog and I seen them take it when they left. If this guy would have called the police maybe they could have gotten them and got the dog a good home. These people better hope I never see them. I did feel bad for them until we found this out. Now I know this sounds harse but they deserve to starve to death under a bridge somewhere. I have absolutly no pity for animal abusers. I am so sick about this I cant stop thinking about it, I feel almost responsible but what could I have done?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

You didn't know, therefore you couldn't have done anything. It's not your fault! Please don't blame yourself over something you had zero control over.

Instead, love your animals a little deeper. And do something for your local animal shelter in memory of those cats. How about knit a cat bed or two?

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Yep, what Silver said. It's sad that people treat animals so poorly! Sounds like you have already adopted one of their cast offs. Should name that cat Lucky!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitncook For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Oh how terrible. I hope the company that cleaned the house made an ofical police reprt. That way if those creeps do resurface they could be charged with animal cruelty.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I agree and this is horrible. Anyone who has an animal and abuses or neglects it should be punished severely.

We have basically become a cat refuge over the past 6 years and have 5 that live in the house and are fixed. We just moved onto an abandoned property that has over 10 cats. I'm sure none of them have been spayed or neutered. Since they are pretty much wild, we are trapping them one by one and having them fixed. We've gotten them to the point where we can pet a few when they eat but they are very shy of anyone. Yes, please make a donation to your local shelter and some shelters actually get grants for the neutering/spaying and will do them just for a donation.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
msoebel
Turning the Heel

We think we have some feral cats living around our apartment complex. No collars and out and about at weird times of the day and night...like in the freezing rain, or at night. Times when well loved kitties would be tucked away in someone's cozy apartment. I would love to adopt them...but dh is severely allergic to kitties. Instead, I just leave food on the back patio and hope that someone else takes the poor babies in. One is obviously this year's kitten. He's just a little guy. And they are both sooo skittish.

People are cruel and thoughtless when they are on drugs. They can't manage to care for their own children properly...I guess no big surprise that they don't think about their animals.

It's still disgusting! If you can't care for a pet, find a loving home for it.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msoebel For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Oh, what a sad story. As the mommy of three rescue dogs, my heart breaks to hear this. Makes me really want to go adopt my fourth...

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
KnitWit1987
1st Leg of the Journey

mwhite I think its great that you are getting those cats fixed, I might have to look into doing that for the cat that they abandoned that I am feeding. The cat will not come near anyone, which in a way might be a good thing because if it was friendly being an outside cat it might be subject to more abuse. What kind of trap do you use? As for the comments about the cleaning company turning these people in, they didnt and that is what upsets me the most. It was just 2 couples that did the cleaning and when I asked them about turning them in they just kind of laughed it off. I did call my local police department, and they said that since the cleaners basically diposed of the evidence they cannot do anything. I donate blankets (some that I knitted) to my animal shelter and I also donate money to different animal shelters and organazations. I have tried volenteering but I get so attached and it upsets me too much, I already have 3 dogs and 1 inside cat and then this new one outside. I guess that is what is so frustrating as one person there is only so much that you can do. But, it feels much better that a lot of you guys do the same
Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
How horrible! I have absolutely no tolerance for people who abuse animals. In my mind, people like that are scum. Unfortunately it comes as no surprise the cleaning people did nothing about it...We had a house fire many years ago and lost a lot of pets. We got a few of our cats out of the house, but, one cat kept running back inside because her kitten was in there. We got her out about 3 times before we ourselves had to get out and we thought she was still out of the house the last time we got her outside. We were looking for her for days, driving around the neighborhood, calling the animal shelters, asking all of our neighbors. No one had seen her. Eventually, the cleaning crew came out and they found her. She did end up running back inside the house and she died from smoke inhalation. The cleaning company even had the audacity to tell us they just threw her body in the dumpster with the "rest of the trash". We were all so very angry...I think they see it as well, they're getting paid to clean up the place and that's all they're going to do, anything else is none of their concern.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around, and, one day, this will come back to them.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by KnitWit1987 View Post
mwhite I think its great that you are getting those cats fixed, I might have to look into doing that for the cat that they abandoned that I am feeding. The cat will not come near anyone, which in a way might be a good thing because if it was friendly being an outside cat it might be subject to more abuse. What kind of trap do you use?
http://www.safeguardproducts.com/

You place an open can of catfood at the back of the cage, they trip the door when they walk across the plate. DO NOT let them out until you decide to keep them or take them to the humane society. They are smart and if they are let out, they will not go back in. Animal professionals are used to handling ferels once you get them to the facility.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (02-25-2008)