Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Yet another "Knit the knits & purl the purls" question...
I finished my first ever project over the weekend (a scarf, of course) and have moved onto a prayer shawl. The pattern is K3, P3, then on all subsequent rows to "knit the knits & purl the purls".

I just don't get it. (Edited to add this is an example- I know I k3 p3 across the whole row) So if you knit 3, then turn it- those knit stitches now look like purls, right? So do I knit them because on the reverse side I knitted them, or do I purl them because they look like they are purl stitches when I look at them? Or am I totally not making sense here.

At least it's Homespun- so it's not like mistakes are going to be that evident and it's hard to see the stitch pattern anyway.

Thanks in advance. At least now I know I don't have to unravel skeins to roll into balls before I start.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

This sounds like it is for ribbing.
you work each stitch as it looks when you get to it. so if it looks like a knit (a v shape) you knit it and if it looks like a purl (the bump) you purl it.
sounds like you already have a good handle on what the stitches look like

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I thought it should look like ribbing too- but the instructions say it should NOT look like ribbing. That is why I am confused.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
It's always knit the k's and purl the p's AS they face you, when a pattern tells you to k the k's and p the p's. So you turn the piece and you now see the backsides of the previous row. So now forget what you did on the previous row and just do them as they are presented to you.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (02-26-2008), Simply_Renee (02-25-2008)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Thank you both- that makes sense. I thought it would be hard to remember what stitches you did on the last row. That's why I'm working a pattern that is soooo easy to start with.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It may not end up ribbing... after a few rows of k3,p3 and k ks, and p ps, you may reverse to p3, k3, (and p ps, k the ks) for a basketweave type pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
It's always knit the k's and purl the p's AS they face you, when a pattern tells you to k the k's and p the p's. So you turn the piece and you now see the backsides of the previous row. So now forget what you did on the previous row and just do them as they are presented to you.
I couldn't have said it better, fibrenut! Good explanation!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
fibrenut (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Note to self- read the pattern!

It was purl the knits and knit the purls. a HA! It looks like lines of texture instead of ribbing- kind of hard to tell with the HDY. (Homespun Devil Yarn) HA!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
campbellmom549
Knitting the Flap

Trinity stitch! I thought it sounded similar to the prayer shawl I'm working on when you said it shouldn't look like ribbing.

OTN: Sheldon the Turtle, Mom's Cashmere Gloves, Silver Bells Scarf, Globe Trotter Socks

FO Gallery
Mommy Moments
Photography by Liz

campbellmom549
campbellmom549 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campbellmom549 For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

So we're both working on one- cool! I am glad I have the stitch down now- I don't feel right cussing while making a "prayer" shawl...