Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Artlady's KAL for "Tempting II"
Hello Knitters!

Here is the 1st post for our "Tempting II" KAL!

Here are a few things we need to do before casting on our 1st stitch:

1) print the pattern
2) search for a preferred yarn
3) knit a gauge swatch

Notes: the pattern uses Rowan's CALMER. I've used this yarn before, and it's fabulous. The pattern says that whatever yarn we decide to use, it is best if the yarn has some stretchiness qualities.

The 'stitch gauge' for the pattern is 20st=4" on stocking stitch, using a US8 needle. For most knitters, the US8 will render a perfect 4" for 20 stitches of st st. But, here's the rub: If you knit tight, the swatch will be too narrow (maybe just 3.5"). If you knit loose, the swatch will be too wide (maybe 4.5"). You can't usually change how you knit. Tight knitters just knit tight, and have to compensate for that by using larger size needles! On the other hand, loose knitters have to compensate by using smaller size needles.

So, first let's decide on the yarn, get the yarn, and then we swatch.

If you want to use a yarn other than Calmer, check the ball band and make sure the recommended gauge of that yarn says 18st-20st = 4" in st st. (Some yarns give its gauge in 1" increments, so just multiply that by 4 to tell the 4" stitch gauge)

[CAUTION: You can't make a DK yarn work for Tempting II. A DK yarn gauge is usually 22st=4". You can't make a bulky worsted yarn work for Tempting II either.
A bulky worsted yarn usually starts at 16-17st=4". Not good.]

We have to start with a yarn that is in the ballpark of 20st=4".

Please reply to me with any questions that you have about PHASE 1 of our sweater: the yarn choice, gauge, and the gauge swatch!

Also, preview the "tools" that the pattern says we need.
Ask me any questions about that list of tools, too.

TEMPTING II pattern here

NOTE ADDED LATER:
Please read!

On page 33 of this thread, I have posted photos that will be of help to you after you complete the BODY ribbing. These photos are broken up into 5 consecutive posts, and they go in order as the pattern does. The posts are #323-#327. Please bookmark page 33 so that you can refer back to these photos.

I knit in-the-round with the RS on the inside of the tube. My photos on page 33 reflect this. Most knitters, however, knit with the RS on the outside of the tube. Whatever kind of 'in-the-round' knitter you are, bear in mind that my RS is on the inside. So don't let my photos on page 33 confuse you!

I have placed a photo tutorial on page 42, post #423 that demonstrates step-by-step how I join row 1 to row 2 for 'in-the-round' ...and this makes the RS on the inside.

It doesn't make a bit of difference to the ultimate outcome of this pattern. I just prefer seeing my RS on the inside of my tube, and the working needles are not next to my body, but furthest from my body.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 10-08-2008 at 12:57 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote