Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
MadelineM
Ribbing the Cuff

round v. straight needles
I am SURE this has been asked before, so if you don't feel like answering, feel free to just point me in the right direction. Historically, I've bought fairly cheap needles, because (a) I'm a college student and spend most of my knitting budget on nice yarn, and (b) I do different kinds of projects which require different sized needles all the time, so I'm loath to spend a lot of money on any one size without an idea of when I'll use that size again. This has lead to a serious splintering problem (I only use bamboo), so I've been considering treating myself to nicer needles.

I'm attracted to the Options set that everyone's been raving about (particularly as I've been doing more lace lately, and I hear they're sharper than what I've been using). As I understand it, though, they only come round. I do some scarves and things, but the truth is, I don't really like straight needles, because I'm constantly misplacing whichever one I'm not using. So my question is--is it as easy as it seems like it should be to knit flat things on round needles (just by turning it around the way you would with straight needles)? Are there any downsides to this strategy? Should I go ahead and splurge on this fancy, beautiful set of rounds and feel confident that I will be able to knit flat things perfectly well?
MadelineM is offline   Reply With Quote