Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

An author sells the movie rights of the book. Unless an author has "final script approval" built into their contract, it's out of their hands. One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler. He sold "Raise the Titanic". He didn't have final script approval and he hated the movie. So dissappointed in it that he swore he would never allow a book of his to be made into a movie. He has since relented and sold, obviously, "Sahara", which starred Matthew McConaughey. He did, however, have final script approval for it and he also had a hand in picking the cast. Even so, I believe he ended up suing the producers over something connected with it. He also sold another book, but who knows if it will ever be made into the movie.

Example 2: My sister's favorite movie is "Jaws". Last summer we decided to read the book because we never had even though we've seen the movie a million times. The book is very short and barely centered around the shark. The movie is completely different from the book - and the movie is much better I might add. You just never know what you're going to get. In most cases, however, I find the book is better.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Darn!!!! I was hoping this was going to be really good, too. I read a review in "People" and it said the same thing... okay, not fantastic, the costumes made the movie.

Books into movies... forrest gump and brokeback mountain (which is a short story, I guess, not a book) were both similar to, but better than their movie counterparts.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I'm a fan of Scarlett J. I'll go see it just to see her!
Haven't read the book! I won't know the difference.
Ignorance is Bliss, at last!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

I was kind of disappointed with the movie. I understand there are time limits, but there was just so much from the book that was not in there. I thought Natalie Portman was great though, Scarlet J. was ok. I am in love with the costumes though, those were all fantastic. If you aren't sure to see it or not, my advice is to just wait til it comes out on DVD and rent it.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I saw it this weekend and I really liked it. I haven't read the book, but I thought it was well acted and of course beautiful.
I don't think this is a spoiler as it's history, but if you haven't see it be warned of what I am going to say.

I went with the DBF's sister and she was crying at the end and says to me after "I really didn't want Anne to die" and I said "but didn't you know it was coming?" she says "No, I didn't realise". She had a surprise ending- how cute! haha

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #26
photolady

If you like the other boleyn girl, you'll like Elizabeth I.
I think Kate Blanchett was the star.
The first Elizabeth, it was great.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #27
photolady

Originally Posted by KnitClickChick View Post
I was kind of disappointed with the movie. I understand there are time limits, but there was just so much from the book that was not in there. I thought Natalie Portman was great though, Scarlet J. was ok. I am in love with the costumes though, those were all fantastic. If you aren't sure to see it or not, my advice is to just wait til it comes out on DVD and rent it.
I didn't want to comment, but, now I will. I read reviews of the movie, and almost everyone was disappointed in it.

Go rent Elizabeth I, with kate BLANCHETT.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #28
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I saw The Other Boleyn Girl yesterday and enjoyed and so did the friends I went with. After reading the book and hearing negative comments about the movie, I wasn't expecting too much. I agree there is so much more to the book which is a fantastic read, but I liked the movie. Also for a $4 bargain Tuesday movie, it was great.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Yes, I've seen Elizabeth several times, very good movie. I just rented the second one, Elizabeth The Golden Age, but I haven't watched it yet.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #30
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

I have Elizabeth, and was going to rent Golden Age --- but I wasn't too thrilled with Elizabeth, even though I love Kate Blanchett. Maybe I'll rent Golden Age after all... it's only a few bucks

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote