Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
letah75
Working the Gusset

Having a loooong day
Ok, some of you know what type of work I do, basically I work with juveniles who are in the "system". Some days I feel like I don't actually have any positive effect on these kids. I know it's not true, I've had some make it.....

But coming into work, and within 3 minutes of getting here finding out that two were shot over the weekend, who knows if one will make it, and one tried to commit suicide two times (once slitting wrists and once slitting throat), among the many other issues that happened over the weekend is a bit disheartening.

It's Monday and I need a vacation. Swear my FH keeps me sane. I want to . Thats all I want to do. It's been like this for a month now, kids going off the deep end, my work is keeping my head spinning. Thank god for knitting and family otherwise I'd burn out.

The frustrating thing is I LOVE my job. Just sometimes I feel like I get paid to bang my head against a wall repeatedly.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. You really do provide one of the most essential services around, but it must be tough having to see kids go downhill and there's no way to stop them. Be careful it doesn't wear on you too much. Keep your chin up and do something for you, whether it's dinner out with the DH, a bath, knitting, some new yarn or whatever, take some time out to relax. You deserve it.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Aww, I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough day. You do a tough job and we can't thank you enough. I hope you can wind down with some knitting, or a bath, or just some quiet time with FH.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I'm so sorry. You invest a tremendous amount of energy into your "kids." It's not a job you don't take home either as they are on your mind when you leave the office.

One day at a time...one hour at a time.

I'll keep you and those kids in my prayers.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Dh and I work with teens as well. It's a hard group...change tends to be done in very, very small increments and you will rarely hear a "thank you" for your efforts or time. You're more likely to be cussed out or insulted. I wish I could say their parents were better behaved, but the truth is, most aren't.

You are planting seeds in their lives. The lessons they learn from you now, will flower later in their lives. Years from now, when they look back at a time that was really hard and confusing, they are going to remember that someone cared about them.

The hard thing is caring about all of them, knowing that you aren't going to reach all of them.

Hugs. You will have better days.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Pagan Princess
1st Leg of the Journey

Hon, you show up and you care. You advise them, but you can't be there with them 24/7. How many other people would take the time to spare a thought to help these kids?

What you do matters.

Lisa
Pagan Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
letah75
Working the Gusset

Thanks guys/gals! Sometimes you just need to vent. I went out and tied one on last night, and had a blast. Tummy's a little queasy but all in all I let loose, had a good time with FH and FSIL and feel much better!

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote