Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

There's nothing wrong with a puppy being in a crate while an older dog isn't. You'd be allowing the already established dog time to get used to the puppy without becoming overwhelmed by the pup. I crate train my dogs, right from the start.

I used to work at a local vet, and one of my co-workers got a boxer puppy. She didn't even think about crate training it, and one morning she found the puppy knocked out and trembling. She rushed it in to work, and the vet found that the puppy's tongue was severely burned! They eventually figured out that the puppy had chewed an electrical cord during the night and electrocuted itself! Ended up losing nearly half it's tongue.

The dog I have now has a crate although we never use it anymore for her. The crate is really large, so when she was a puppy I'd simply stick boards through to reduce the crate's size, and as she grew I'd move the boards as needed. Once she was reliably housebroken we'd only use the crate if we were going to be gone for extended periods of time, like 3 or more hours. Now though, she's learned well and never has to use the crate, even if we're gone for over 4 hours.

A crate becomes a "safe" place for dogs, it's their own space where they can go to get away from things like noisey people, unruly children, or they just want to "pass out" without worrying about being stepped over. I truly believe that all dogs should be crate trained, it's just a big benefit to them. :-)

Debra in NC
WolfWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfWalker For This Useful Post:
flea (03-16-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
maniago
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to maniago
What a doll, the puppy is!! What breed?
maniago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
flea
Ribbing the Cuff

Her mom's a Husky/Shepherd mix. No idea what daddy is. heh. She'll be a mystery! But a big un.
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Every time I see "crate training a puppy" I can't help but think about those square watermelons and what that puppy would wind up looking like

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
flea
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Every time I see "crate training a puppy" I can't help but think about those square watermelons and what that puppy would wind up looking like
Great. Now I can't get the image of my puppy all squared up outta my head!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Thanks for posting photos! What a cutie!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #17
Mike
Working the Gusset

I use a crate when I'm not home. But when I'm home I use a (or at least what I've been lead to believe is a) Buddhist monk method of keeping them on a leash on your belt.

A crate is good for teaching them bladder and bowel control but it does nothing to teach them the limits on the rest of the house.
I'm not big on crates for when you're home because it removes them from the pack. (I'm a pack trainer, not like the Dog Whisperer who claims to be a pack trainer but is actually more Pavlovian.)

I also hang a bell by the door and teach them to ring when they want to go out. (But be warned, as my niece found out, they ring to go out and play too.)

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
flea
Ribbing the Cuff

Well then, trainer guy. I have a question (it's an open question so feel free to chime in everybody).

Our pup is really young. She's all of 10-11 lbs and was born 1/25/08. At what age should we expect her to begin "getting" the teaching we learned at our Petsmart puppy class with our first dog? Bodie was 3 months old when we got her. Is that about the right age for things like the name game.

And if she isn't technically 'ready' will spending the time working with her on those things somehow damage her ability/desire to learn when she IS able? I'm of the opinion that it certainly can't hurt to start teaching her the basics along with the housetraining we're working on.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
Mike
Working the Gusset

Trust me, I've had my fair share of failures, although some were funny, like the Dachshund I gave too much praise for learning to roll over (it was the first time I ever got a dog to roll over on command, I was extremely happy), after that every command was met with a rollover.
He could be lined up with other dogs who would all sit on the command and he would drop and roll them over.

You can expect some basics to be picked up at 8 weeks, not perfectly mind you.
A Springer book I have has the commands to Hup (sit), Come, No and Stay coming at 8-12 weeks with voice and hand.
Whistle, hand and voice commands are at 3-6 months.
6-9 months is double retrieves (which is pretty hard for many dogs and requires them to either remember or to go where you're pointing).

I think teaching the name should start instantly.
I start the bell trick instantly and have been amazed at how fast some puppies will stop playing and go ring the bell to go out (coupled with the leash training and crate training when the leash isn't practical I've totally stopped paper training puppies).
When I fold their tail under to stop a mistake from happening (shouting NO at the same time) I brush them into the bell on their way out the door then give them praise outside when they do their business.

You have to keep the training VERY short with very young dogs. You want them to succeed and they don't have the attention span to succeed a lot so if you push the time too long you're teaching them not to succeed. Always leave them wanting more. If you see boredom or distraction setting in stop.

You won't ruin her unless you're expecting too much and being too hard. I think you do more harm waiting too long than starting too early. As long as you're easy on the demands, not too hard and do a good job of getting across what you want even the round balls of fur want to please the pack leader.
Just don't be too hard and they won't lose faith in you as the leader. If they don't get something you probably haven't done a good job of explaining what you want.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
flea (03-19-2008)