Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
I need to vent
I've been suffering from depression since I was a teen. Depression runs through both sides of my family, so it was sort of a given when I was diagnosed. I've been on medication for the past 14 years and it has helped tremendously.
Today when I went to my doctor's appointment to get a refil, I was seen by someone other than my usual doctor. The person I saw, let's call her "N" proceeded to tell me that I was far too young to be depressed and insinuated it was all in my head. Boy, just when you think the dark ages are over....
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I agree! Hope your regular doc who has experience with the disease and your diagnosis is there for future appointments. I'm sure it would assist your doctor and other patients if you shared this incident with her/him. After fourteen years, the two of you are experts on your disease.
What was the outcome of your interaction with "N"? Was a refill prescribed or will you have to reschedule an appointment with your doctor? As you know, it can create problems to discontinue your meds even for a few days. Let us know how things worked out.
Belphoebe (03-24-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Wow, that's really messed up! Depression knows no boundaries, and, you don't have to be an adult to suffer from depression, as I'm sure you know! I have suffered from depression since I was 12 years old, it's just at 12, I had no idea it was depression.

If you must see this Dr. again, maybe do an online screening so you can print out the results to share with her. I did that when I finally went to the Dr. because of my depression (when I was 24!).

She needs to understand it's not in your head and that the condition runs in your family. You might even want to see about finding a new Dr....I mean for god's sake, she could have at least taken the time to talk with you and listen to your symptoms!

I hope you can see your usual Dr. soon, or, someone better qualified and willing to discuss it with you before telling you it's all in your head.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-24-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I'm sorry. What an insensitive comment.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-24-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
My outcome today, was that instead of the usual 6 or 12 month prescription refill, I got two months worth of refills. I've decided to call my regular doctor tomorrow and have a chat.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Belphoebe View Post
My outcome today, was that instead of the usual 6 or 12 month prescription refill, I got two months worth of refills. I've decided to call my regular doctor tomorrow and have a chat.
I was just going to say that you need to talk to your regular doc about this. Not only was that insensitive, but poteintially dangerous. I too take meds for depression and messing around with them sends me into a tailspin. I would also not see "N" again, ever.
Hang in there...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-25-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Ugh, I absolutely hate it when doctors do this. I was a very depressed teenager and I was finally put on meds at 16 after many awful years. I was a lot better after that and then I went to university and changed physicians for the campus health clinic. The doctor pretty much said I shouldn't be on meds anymore and I should go off them soon. Well she made me go off them 1 month after my high school sweetheart broke my heart on Christmas Day. It was hard enough going through my first breakup, why not throw a little emotionally unbalanced-ness in there?
You should definitely talk to your doc. Some doctors just don't get it. Depression isn't something made up, or something you can control!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-25-2008)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
ugh, yes do tell your regular doctor that this "N" person told you that this was in your head.
You can not just go off meds like that even if he/she only gave you a month supply. Hope everything works out when you talk to your own doctor.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-25-2008)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Wow...dh and I are youth pastors, and trust me, teenagers can have serious mental health issues too. One of our students was so textbook manic depressive, but all of our efforts to get him help arrived in the same answer, "Oh, no. He's too young to diagnose him with that."

Until he attempted suicide during one depressive period, and then tried to kill his mother during the next. Even then, he wasn't diagnosed until he was hit by a car and had to be care flighted to a bigger hospital for his head injuries. Turns out, the meds they were giving him for his ADHD were only making things worse (duh!) and he was trying to self medicate with caffeine and energy drinks. Why don't people just look at the evidence, and not decide before hand that it is impossible?

I can't believe one doctor would second guess your regular physician's diagnosis and just decide on one visit that they know more than the doctor who has been seeing you. That's ludicrous. I really dislike doctors who try to make you believe that your sympotoms are psychosomatic. Never, ever see her again. Next time, she might decide you're moody because you're hormonally imbalanced and put you on birth control.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msoebel For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-25-2008)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts

I agree, tell your regular dr what "N" said...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (03-25-2008)