Quit a while ago 34 21.25%
I keep trying to Quit, its harder than I thought 4 2.50%
Never 95 59.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
My dad has some kind of lung problem. I don't know what it's called, but it's hereditary and he had part of a lung removed in high school. Smoking was totally out of the question in our house and we were taught to hate it. One brother smoked for awhile and the other's wife smokes, so I guess it didn't "take" on all of us. I couldn't afford it if I wanted to smoke. I'm a single mom and have so little extra money. It should be spent on yarn!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 AM   #22
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
I did crochet and smoke at the same time while I lived in Colorado. Managed to do both simultaneously.
People would give me odd looks when they saw me sitting outside the bookstore, smoking, dressed in black (was going through goth-y stage) and crocheting stuff in baby blue yarn.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I don't smoke, but often take my knitting to the bar with me - have had a lot of people come up and ask to learn too ;-) Handy when the music's too loud for conversation ;-)
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
scout52
Working the Gusset

I never smoked, but i don't think I fit the stereotype of a knitter because whenever people find out that I'm a knitter they are like "You KNIT?!?!!! and I'm like what do you mean? they always respond that I'm like a guy in a dress. LOL. I never know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
Silver
Instepping Out

There is no such thing as a knitter stereotype anymore. Anyone could be a knitter... even your neighbor. So be careful... we're everywhere!

I smoked for about 18 years, off and on, and quit for good about 2.5 years ago, and have zero cravings now.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Banrion
Ribbing the Cuff

I quit in August, and I picked up knitting to help me stay that way. Knitting was my solution to occupy my hands through the cravings. I guess you could say my yarn addiciton replaced my nicotine addiction.
Banrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #27
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

ok, i have to ask. I have always been curious as to why people would quit smoking and then start again. I never wanted to be rude though so i havent asked till now. I noticed that a few of you said you quit and then/will start(ed) smoking again. WHY?!? i have never touched a cigarette so maybe its just something i dont get? i just wonder why you would start again when you managed to quit and be healthier. no offense meant, just an honest, curious question
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Nicotine is a drug. Most people start smoking for the same reason some people drink or do other drugs. It makes you feel good while you are consuming it. When you feel stressed or under pressure a cigarette is one way of relieving the stress. For women especially smoking can be a temporary weight loss tool.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #29
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I read it every day and I don't see anything about smoking. Did I miss something?
Sorry, I meant knitter stereotypes, not smoking. She wrote about how you can't really classify knitters as any one 'type'.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by princess View Post
ok, i have to ask. I have always been curious as to why people would quit smoking and then start again. I never wanted to be rude though so i havent asked till now. I noticed that a few of you said you quit and then/will start(ed) smoking again. WHY?!? i have never touched a cigarette so maybe its just something i dont get? i just wonder why you would start again when you managed to quit and be healthier. no offense meant, just an honest, curious question
I had quit for 1.5 years (quit cigarettes but smoked a pipe, they're not the same effect).
I started back up because of panic attacks and doctors not being willing to give Xanax but being willing to give drugs that mess with your head.
Had they just given me Xanax to break the panic cycle I was in I probably wouldn't smoke cigarettes and would backed way off pipes (I was cutting back on the pipes at that time).

Like Plantgoddess+ said, it's a drug and many people use it to self medicate.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote