I keep trying to Quit, its harder than I thought 4 2.50%
Never 95 59.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #31
Amyzing
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Amyzing
Originally Posted by Banrion View Post
I quit in August, and I picked up knitting to help me stay that way. Knitting was my solution to occupy my hands through the cravings. I guess you could say my yarn addiciton replaced my nicotine addiction.
I've found that knitting has replaced my addiction with nicotine, too! I smoked for almost 4 years and thought I was going to have a hard time quitting. I've gone back to chewing gum pretty regularly and when I get a big craving for a smoke I go find whatever project I'm working on and knit a few rows. By the time I'm done my head is cleared and my urge for nicotine has calmed down.

Amyzing @ Ravelry

Reading: Middlesex
Knitting: WIP RSE 2 Scarf,
Baby stuff for BF's SIL
FO ISE 6 Scarf
FO Ravelry College Swap Scarf
Amyzing is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #32
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

My dad smoked when I was growing up and it totally grossed me out.

I've never smoked.

I find it odd that knitters smoke; isn't it bad for the yarn? I think it would make the yarn smell yucky.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by princess View Post
ok, i have to ask. I have always been curious as to why people would quit smoking and then start again. I never wanted to be rude though so i havent asked till now. I noticed that a few of you said you quit and then/will start(ed) smoking again. WHY?!? i have never touched a cigarette so maybe its just something i dont get? i just wonder why you would start again when you managed to quit and be healthier. no offense meant, just an honest, curious question

I quit for five years once, after having surgery for a tumor in my ovary, and severe dysplasia. I didn't want to quit and it was extremely difficult. I missed it all the time. I didn't start again though due to the fact that my then husband quit at the same time and just breezed through it.

We started having problems and actually broke up, and I started smoking again after moving and getting a new job, etc. There was so much stress and I had never wanted to quit in the first place.

I'm still smoking but don't smoke in the house. so my yarn isn't smoke filled!!

spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #34
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I find it odd that knitters smoke; isn't it bad for the yarn? I think it would make the yarn smell yucky.
LOL
If I was going to worry about something it would be my lungs not the yarn

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #35
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Plantgoddess+ View Post
Nicotine is a drug. Most people start smoking for the same reason some people drink or do other drugs. It makes you feel good while you are consuming it. When you feel stressed or under pressure a cigarette is one way of relieving the stress. For women especially smoking can be a temporary weight loss tool.
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I had quit for 1.5 years (quit cigarettes but smoked a pipe, they're not the same effect).
I started back up because of panic attacks and doctors not being willing to give Xanax but being willing to give drugs that mess with your head.
Had they just given me Xanax to break the panic cycle I was in I probably wouldn't smoke cigarettes and would backed way off pipes (I was cutting back on the pipes at that time).

Like Plantgoddess+ said, it's a drug and many people use it to self medicate.
Originally Posted by spectorkitty View Post
I quit for five years once, after having surgery for a tumor in my ovary, and severe dysplasia. I didn't want to quit and it was extremely difficult. I missed it all the time. I didn't start again though due to the fact that my then husband quit at the same time and just breezed through it.

We started having problems and actually broke up, and I started smoking again after moving and getting a new job, etc. There was so much stress and I had never wanted to quit in the first place.

I'm still smoking but don't smoke in the house. so my yarn isn't smoke filled!!
fair enough, thanks for the replies. It makes sense, i guess when i do think of it more as a "drug" and compare it to (illegal) drug addicts and alcoholics they do frequently relapse when trying to quit so it makes more sense to me. As i said, i never tried a cigarette, or anything of that nature so i cant really understand an addiction since i have never been in those shoes, and therefore try not to judge, only understand (as best i can)
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #36
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

ok, i have to ask. I have always been curious as to why people would quit smoking and then start again. I never wanted to be rude though so i havent asked till now. I noticed that a few of you said you quit and then/will start(ed) smoking again. WHY?!? i have never touched a cigarette so maybe its just something i dont get? i just wonder why you would start again when you managed to quit and be healthier. no offense meant, just an honest, curious question
There is something in nicotine that releases some chemical in the brain that makes you feel good. It's a drug, basically. I quit smoking years ago once, but started again when I was going through a very stressful time, and it was because I was craving that "good feeling" and I gave into the need to experience that. That's also where some people who do smoke say they "enjoy" it and don't want to quit. It's the chemical release in the brain. I've had the same craving for particular foods when I'm stressed out about something and experienced that same chemical release in the brain after eating said comfort foods.

BTW, I quit smoking for good about 3 1/2 years ago and I don't miss it. I've had small cravings once in a great while, but I've not given into them. Addiction is both physical and psychological. I get that same sort of chemical release type feeling through other avenues. There have been times when I've craved the feeling of yarn in my hands and experienced that same chemical release in the brain when I picked up that yarn and started knitting with it.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #37
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

fair enough, thanks for the replies. It makes sense, i guess when i do think of it more as a "drug" and compare it to (illegal) drug addicts and alcoholics they do frequently relapse when trying to quit so it makes more sense to me. As i said, i never tried a cigarette, or anything of that nature so i cant really understand an addiction since i have never been in those shoes, and therefore try not to judge, only understand (as best i can)

I've heard somewhere that nicotine can be as addictive as heroin, which also explains why it's so hard for people to quit smoking.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #38
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

I realized that after my post I didn't say WHY I started again, I mean why I felt that smoking was something I needed. I can't explain it, I guess it is the addiction to nicotine. It's the whole inhaling and blowing the smoke out as well that's very relaxing to me. I think that there are studies that show that when you smoke everything goes up, your heart rate, your blood pressure but it doesn't feel that way to me, I just feel ahhh....relaxed.

A lot of it is just habit, like smoking after eating or with my first cup of coffee in the morning. I was going to quit for the new year but I just couldn't. I keep saying, well after this medical procedure I'll quit ( I got an epidural for a protruding disc) then, well after my vacation, or well, after this or that.

I want to quit and I don't. I know it's bad for me, I know it's bad for the kids even though I never smoke around them or in the house. It's a bad example and a weakness.

Maybe someday.

spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #39
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

^^ you can at least give yourself credit for admitting it. It annoys me when people try to defend smoking and act like the health issues are all a hype, so i respect you for admitting its bad and a weakness.
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (03-30-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #40
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
I am a smoker, and I've tried to quit many times, but I always make that foolish mistake when hanging around my friends who do smoke and they ask me if I want one. I usually end up saying yes.

As far as to why, yes it's a drug, but to put it in a more visual light, think about it this way, there is something that gives you pleasure more than anything else in this world, but you know its bad for you, for some, smoking, others overeating, it gives you immense pleasure to do so, and you try to quit doing it, for a while you're successful, then you have a moment of weakness, to some, they recognize that weakness and move past it, others recognize it and make excuses like "1 won't kill me" and pretty soon are back to doing it again.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote