Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
I started mine with DPNs, size 10.5 and based my increases on multiples of 6. Your blanket appears to use multiples of 8. Will be glad to knit along and/or help. Although, I'd love to drop my needle size and just make it larger as a tablecloth. Lovely piece...these usually become family heirlooms, too!
Hi Mary,
That sounds great. I would love to do a KAL with you. I have never done this before and I think it will be fun to do with someone else.
And yes, it looks like it's an increase every fifth row, so once again, not too hard.
There are just a few questions that I have with the pattern, since I have really looked it over, and the last row there are a few questions for that as well. But I think that is a long time coming.
I'll private message you once I am ready with my needles and yarn. But one quick question for you, should I do DPN's like you since you know that better? Or should we both try the Magic Loop Knitting together. :P
The pattern link that you sent us to changes circular needles a few time within the pattern. So, if we don't do the Magic Loop, I would need to get a few different needle sizes in circular? (right)
Soooooooooooooooooooooo Mary, all I need to know is what needles and sizes do I need to get. Not worried about the cost etc. As long as I get everything that I need to start. Of course I am going to use bamboo for the DPN's don't want slipped stitches. LOL Also, if you think that bamboo will work better than the Addi's since it's not as slippery I can get those too.
Thanks and REALLY REALLY looking foward doing my first KAL with you.
Anyone else want to join the fun?
Cheers,

Gino
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes Mary - O is for YO.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
mwhite (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
mwhite
Instepping Out

I got your pm, Gino. Since I'm on a cover repair job this morning, won't be able to communicate too much til this evening. I've copied the original pattern and the chart and will be studying it. I am inclined to just stick with the dpns.

If you're going to do yours like the one on Ravelry, the size 10s (7") dpns and size 10s (24-36") circulars are what you'll need. And I would suggest checking out the off brand bamboo circulars they have on Ebay. You can purchase an entire set with all sizes in either 32" or 40" lengths for less than $15-20. I honestly think you'll be able to fit all the sts onto a 36" or 40". Should be able to use the dpns until you get to around 60-70 sts. on the needles, then change up to 24" then onto 36 or 40". More later...
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
So is the project really just the doily on larger needles and with larger yarn, or is something added to it? I'm guessing he just charted the F&F part because he didn't like to read line by line directions, but is it the same as the doily or is it different is some way? Is the blanket edging the same as the doily?

Yes, O in the original pattern means YO. I've seen that used before.

Some beautiful worsted weight wool and the size 10 needles would be the ticket. Exact gauge probably is not important as long as the result you get is something you like, but it could effect the size.

The doily pattern says to use dpns, so it would work to start out with them and then move maybe to two circulars (one being the 40 incher) to handle the too many stitches for the dpns but not enough yet to reach around the 40". Then move to the one circular. I don't know how to do a magic loop and two circulars would seem awkward to me to start with, but some like them.

This piece is beautiful. Your ambition to make 2 of them is remarkable. I'm sure it is a good idea to make one to try it out on, but making two of something is boring to me many times. LOL But some people love to do that sort of thing and don't find it boring.

I'd be happy to help all I could, but I don't think I'm up to making one right now to be certain of how it all goes. I'm in PST as well. Feel free to PM me anytime. I don't know if I'll have the answer you need, but I like to help and will give it some attention anyhow. :-)
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
mwhite (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think that's what it is; many people have used other lace doily patterns and just use bigger needles and yarn on the same pattern. You don't need to adjust anything, it just becomes larger that way, though you may need to keep doing repeats until it's the size you want.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #16
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
This piece is beautiful. Your ambition to make 2 of them is remarkable. I'm sure it is a good idea to make one to try it out on, but making two of something is boring to me many times. LOL But some people love to do that sort of thing and don't find it boring.

I'd be happy to help all I could, but I don't think I'm up to making one right now to be certain of how it all goes. I'm in PST as well. Feel free to PM me anytime. I don't know if I'll have the answer you need, but I like to help and will give it some attention anyhow. :-)
Thanks for the helpful reply and advice. I know I know, I am the same way about doing a project and making two can be boring at times. I think a lot of us have ADD when it comes to making something again. But since this is going to be for a gift, I'd figure I'd love one for myself too.
That is very kind and generous of you to help out. And I will probably need that soon enough too. So, get ready for the questions!
Thanks again for your input!

Gino
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
So is the project really just the doily on larger needles and with larger yarn, or is something added to it? I'm guessing he just charted the F&F part because he didn't like to read line by line directions, but is it the same as the doily or is it different is some way? Is the blanket edging the same as the doily?
No, what you have to do if I am correct is you start off with the original pattern and then on row 47 you start with his charted pattern.
Here is a quote from his blog:
"The original pattern as-is guides you through 87 rows of lace knitting, which I expanded in order to transform the doily into a blanket. The great thing about feather-and-fan is that you can just keep doing it in order to make a larger piece. Also, it's purdy."
"As far as 'expanding' the pattern that's given you, I've already done the grunt work of charting out the expandable feather-and-fan section here for your convenience (When it comes to lace, I have a serious aversion to line-by-line pattern writing). A special note about the chart: I did not chart out the entire pattern, only the feather and fan section. Row 1 of my chart corresponds directly to Row 47 of the original doily pattern. (You'll still have to do a little line-by-line knitting). Also, the beginning of the round in the pattern starts in the CENTER of my chart. This will be more clear while knitting - just follow along with both pattern and chart until you orient yourself to the new setup."
Because I think that even if you made it with larger needles and heavier weight yarn, it still would not be as large as what you see here. He said that the finished blocked piece measured over four feet.
Hope that helps. I wanted to do this so she could wear it as a shawl or lap blanket etc. Now it's just choosing the colors! There are so many great natural colors that Cascade Eco Wools use. I am torn by so many. *sigh* (what to do what to do) Malabrigo might be fun too... but don't know if the colors will mess with the pattern too much. What do you experts think?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I got your pm, Gino. Since I'm on a cover repair job this morning, won't be able to communicate too much til this evening. I've copied the original pattern and the chart and will be studying it. I am inclined to just stick with the dpns.

If you're going to do yours like the one on Ravelry, the size 10s (7") dpns and size 10s (24-36") circulars are what you'll need. And I would suggest checking out the off brand bamboo circulars they have on Ebay. You can purchase an entire set with all sizes in either 32" or 40" lengths for less than $15-20. I honestly think you'll be able to fit all the sts onto a 36" or 40". Should be able to use the dpns until you get to around 60-70 sts. on the needles, then change up to 24" then onto 36 or 40". More later...
Thanks Mary,
No rush on anything. I'll do some research and get to work on the needles.
Have a great day! Also, what do you do? Cover repair job? Sounds interesting!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I finished this up last month...it was a very easy knit! The best thing to do is join the yahoo group they have charts for the 47 and beyond rounds...I think it went to 122...and then you go back to the pattern and BO with the last row...

I started mine off on dpns and then moved to circs...first 24" cables then I think my 40" cable in options...I also had stitch markers for every repeat

If you need any help just lmk
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hemlock finished.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	47697  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
mwhite (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Alyce
1st Leg of the Journey

That is so beautiful. I don't know if I'll ever get up the nerve to try that. LOL
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alyce For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-01-2008)