Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #51
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

How sad that Photolady has been banned.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #52
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Yes, it is true that PhotoLady was banned, however this thread was not the main reason as to why she was banned. There was a lot more than what meets the eye in this situation. Mods worked with her for awhile trying to help her, but she just wouldn't follow the guidelines. This is what led to her being banned.

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-02-2008), CountryKitty (04-02-2008), SabrinaJL (04-02-2008)
Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #53
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Dustin, thank you for clearing that up, it would have been upsetting to think that an open discussion of our views on religion had turned sour in some way. I'm really pleased at how civil and open this discussion has been.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #54
evona
Working the Gusset

Yes, thank you very much for clearing that up Dustina It makes me feel so much better as I feel I've learned a lot by both the religion threads going on right now and have been rather impressed and inspired by how respectful everyone has been considering how "touchy" this subject could get.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #55
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I think that a Christian knit-a-long would be awesome!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
MAmaDawn (04-14-2008)
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #56
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Have y'all ever realized that there is no verse in the Bible that states that we are to ask Jesus into our hearts? This is not the way to become a Christian...
In Romans 10, it says That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
So, perhaps the people who told you that, were trying to make sure this part of the Gospel was being followed, in the path of salvation. The heart has something to do with it, according to these verses.

It is repentance that saves, not asking Jesus into our hearts. The repentance requires a change of heart, and the Holy Spirit fills us afterward, but we don't ask Jesus in to be saved. We recognize ourselves as sinners and acknowledge the work of the Savior on the cross. And we turn away from sin.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #57
get_her_donne

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
It is repentance that saves, not asking Jesus into our hearts.
Can I raise a polite little question about that? Wouldn't it be Jesus who saves, not repentance? Heavens yes repentance is a nesessary part of salvation, and faith is the means...but those intangible things can't really save us from hell can they?
Not tryin to be like I'm right you're wrong, just thinking
Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #58
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by get_her_donne View Post
Can I raise a polite little question about that? Wouldn't it be Jesus who saves, not repentance? Heavens yes repentance is a nesessary part of salvation, and faith is the means...but those intangible things can't really save us from hell can they?
Not tryin to be like I'm right you're wrong, just thinking
Yes, it is Jesus who saves us...He was the sacrificial lamb that paid the price for sin.

To understand this better, go back to the Old Testament. Remember that God mandated that the High Priest sacrifice a perfect lamb one day each year to atone for the sins of the Israelites. It was the highest holy day. The Israelites looked upon that lamb as paying the price for their sins. The lamb's blood fulfilled the requirement that God demanded.

All throughout the Old Testament, the prophets foretold that a Savior would come...and the final payment for sin would be made.

That was Jesus.

Just as the Israelites looked at that lamb as payment for their sin, so we (Christians) look to Jesus as the payment for our sins.

So yes, Jesus does save. But we have to repent of our sins. That is our responsibility. Jesus already did the work, but we have to acknowledge this. We don't do anything of our own accord. The Law (the 10 Commandments) convicts us and makes us understand our fallen nature.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #59
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by feministmama View Post
I havent met anymore christian hippies. It seems that Newt Ginrich and some other folks using christianity to discriminate people gave it a bad name.

So my question for christians is this: Do you feel christianity has changed since the 70s? Has it lost something becasue of politicians using it for thier own gain rather than as a means of love? Or am I asking a really dumb question?
I wanted to answer this question yesterday, but ran out of time.

I don't think Christianity has changed since the 70s, but I do believe that Chrisitans have. We all have. The world isn't like it was back then. I think we're all a little more cynical now than we were back then. We are much more likely to believe that someone is trying to take advantage of us, than to believe that someone needs our help. And we will NOT be taken advantage of, will we?

Our culture tends to be more self-centered, and more egocentric. We're so afraid of stepping on anyone's toes that sometimes we don't want to be truthful. And then, when we get up the courage to be truthful, we often forget to do so in love.

I think the shift in churches today is simply a reflection of our society as a whole. Politicians and leaders have been using religions of all kinds since the beginning of time to serve their own agendas. Religions haven't changed much over the thousands and thousands of years. We're just much more aware of it now, thanks to the media.

It makes us all a little more cynical. I don't view it as a breakdown of Christianity. I think it's a breakdown of humanity.

It's hard for me, because so often God and Jesus get blamed for the mistakes we make. I am not perfect. I yell at bad drivers. I speak without thinking sometimes. I get impatient.

I am not always good. God is. I'm not. It's sad that He gets blamed just because I am inept.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msoebel For This Useful Post:
jdee (04-03-2008), Natrasha (04-03-2008)
Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #60
ritaw
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by bjc1050 View Post
How sad that Photolady has been banned.
It is a real shame that Photolady has been banned . I am not too sure why but i know that there must have been good reason .
We recently had pm'd each other a few times and i thought she was really nice .
Thanks Dustina for posting