Quit a while ago 34 21.25%
I keep trying to Quit, its harder than I thought 4 2.50%
Never 95 59.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #41
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by princess View Post
ok, i have to ask. I have always been curious as to why people would quit smoking and then start again...
The first time I quit, was because I was pregnant with my son. So I quit for him, not for me. When I wasn't pregnant anymore, I started smoking again because I liked smoking and never really wanted to quit in the first place. Same thing when I was pregnant with my daughter. That's two quits. Another quit was for financial reasons. DH and I both quit because we were spending so much on cigarettes and we were trying to get a handle on our finances. So again, I didn't quit because I wanted to, and eventually started again when we were financially comfortable again.

This last time, one day I was just like, "I don't want to smoke anymore." So I quit, just like that. I quit for ME, because I wanted to quit. So it stuck. And I have no desire to start again.

I won't lie and say I never think about it. I do, because I remember what it was like inhaling smoke and blowing it out, and the relaxing feeling that came with it. Plus almost everyone I hang out with smokes, including my DH (although he only smokes outside) so it's hard to ignore. But even with all of that, I don't WANT to smoke again. I really, really love saying that I'm a non-smoker. I like waking up and not having that ache in my lungs that's only fixed by having a smoke. I LIKE that I quit successfully for ME and only me. I'm proud of myself and I don't want that to go away.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #42
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
That's a good reason!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
and I can still hold that high C for 28 seconds!
I'll quit (again) when I'm ready.... it *is* on my 101 list!

Holy SMOKES! That's amazing... I'd like to hear that Hildy!
I used to be to hit a high C, what a great feeling.

I stopped singing but I still smoke but only at night and only a few with cocktails. Small and handrolled so it's half a cigarette. (...)
I know I need to stop soon but, as long as I don't do it all day I feel a bit ok. I actually hate the smell of it on the street in the day.

My husband's coworker had a heart attack yesterday, a heavy smoker in his 50s.

Now bars are a whole other story. (actually I don't go like I used to, it's just toooooooo $$$$$$)

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #44
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Non smoker here.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #45
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by Rorshach View Post
I am a smoker, and I've tried to quit many times, but I always make that foolish mistake when hanging around my friends who do smoke and they ask me if I want one. I usually end up saying yes . . . . and make excuses like "1 won't kill me" and pretty soon are back to doing it again.

actually, you do not know which one of them will cause the change that mutates your lung cells into something malignant. No one knows

I do not know if I have a cell that will get old and turn on me, but by the time I quit, I had smoked from 3 weeks before I started Mense (just after turning 11yo), till I was 23 years old. All of Puberty.

more than you needed to know, but its something that worries me on occasion, and 1 of the things that keeps me from picking up another one

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #46
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

I quit smoking on 4/2/07, so I just made it through the first year...woohoo!!! :D

Knitting, video games, and the Commit lozenges (we took them for the first month or so) REALLY helped me to quit (my husband quit about 9 days after I did...we're pretty amazing! lol). Quitting is so hard...we still think/talk about smoking all the time, although we're determined to stay quit, especially with our little grape nut on the way. Everyone has warned us not to start smoking again after she's born...it's pretty annoying. Like we don't know that smoking is a bad habit or something...lol.