Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
mwhite
Instepping Out

Sure hope you'll both join in. It's not a difficult pattern and works up fairly quickly.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #22
eladine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to eladine
Hi Mary, oh I think I will be joining!

I've a baby jacket OTN - nearly done (I hope!) and a throw for the baby's mum... baby can't have all the pressies now can it?!!

But after that, I think I have some wool ready and waiting for this pattern!
eladine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
mwhite
Instepping Out

WONDERFUL!!! Glad to have you and you'll just love how the pattern works up! I'm at work alone (kinda like "Home Alone") this morning and sneaking in a few rows while waiting for the Monday rush...hehehe
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
WONDERFUL!!! Glad to have you and you'll just love how the pattern works up! I'm at work alone (kinda like "Home Alone") this morning and sneaking in a few rows while waiting for the Monday rush...hehehe
I'm reporting you to the family police. HAHAHA
Just got all my needles! YAY. Now waiting for my yarn (BOO), hopefully I'll be getting it in the next few days and I'll be ready to go. And thanks for the heads up Mary, I will be getting some cotton yarn and doing lifelines as you mentioned. Can you just keep them in until you are finished and just pull them out all at once?
And welcome all to the group. I would join the yahoo group to get the charts etc. But I have noticed it's not as hands on as here and you can get your questions answered a lot quicker.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a chart reader, so I wished that someone would have written out the chart in long form. Maybe someone did and I should look at the forum once again.
Cheers all...
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #25
mwhite
Instepping Out

SHHHHH! The boss stayed gone until about 4pm, so I got to round 56!!! Neener Neener!

You can leave your lifelines in til you're done, if ya want!

I'm not a chart reader, either! Now, I'm questioning whether the chart is different and I don't think it is. If I recall, in his blog page about the pattern, he states that the chart was done for the benefit of chart readers and you actually need to refer to the written pattern as you're reading the chart. I sat down and compared them and they appear to be the same thing. The chart is for the entire stitch pattern and he states that you'll start each increase row in the center of his chart. He also stated that the chart will help anyone wanting to make their Hemlock Ring larger by showing how the stitch pattern tier continues. I will either have to get used to the chart or write mine out because I'm planning on making this into a table cloth and will need at least 60" in diameter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I interpreted. Hmmm, might pay to ask the man, ya reckon? LOL! Oh where, oh where can our DUSTINAC be, oh where, oh where can she be???

I did email Jared and asked for this direct answers on this...yes, I know there's a Yahoo KAL, but wanted an answer from "THE MAN"!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #26
mwhite
Instepping Out

Okay, haven't received an answer yet but did find this:

\ means- SSK (slip, slip, K2tog), left slanting decrease: Insert your R needle into 1 stitch on the left needle, as if to knit. Slip it from the L needle onto the R needle (this is called slipping knitwise). Slip a second stitch knitwise. Pass your left needle back through these two stitches, so that the L needle is in front of the R needle. You will note that your R needle is now positioned as if to knit through the back loops. Wrap yarn as usual around R needle, pull through both stitches, and drop both old stitches from the L needle.
Alternate - easier to understand, takes longer to do, looks exactly the same: S1 K1 PSSO

and the chart shows ssk where written instruction shows the S1, K1 PSSO. So there's a difference but not really, as shown in the "Alternate" explanation. It's probably just a matter of preference.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
Karina
Working the Gusset

if you are on ravelry it would also pay you to look up hemlock on there. there are about 70 or so pages of people who have done this pattern some have some good advice and not to does. and you can see all the different type of yarn people are using. very good. not really supposed to get involved in another KAL but I am very tempted by this one.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karina For This Useful Post:
DudeWithSticks (04-07-2008), mwhite (04-07-2008), Rabbitrescuer (04-08-2008)
Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #28
Karina
Working the Gusset

I am not sure but I think the way you do the decreases depends on which way the finished stitch is supposed to lean to. is that right. I think that is why on most lace patterns one side is ssk and the other is k2tog. I am guessing that as long as you keep to doing the decreases the same way throughout it will look OK.

I have not really done a lot of lace but have tried to figure out the charts because there are a few that I would like to do. and it seems to me that all the symbols are the same what ever pattern you use. most of the patterns that I have seen have the instructions written out long and also provide a chart with an explanation of the symbols so you could look at any chart and then translate the hemlock chart that way
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karina For This Useful Post:
mwhite (04-07-2008)
Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
mwhite
Instepping Out

I did receive a reply from Jared and am correct:

"Yes, the chart just visually represents what goes on in the written instructions, although it continues increasing in the Feather and Fan pattern beyond where the written pattern ends. If you want to make something 60 inches in diameter, you will need to extend the pattern beyond the limits of what is written out."

SO KNIT ON, dear KAL partners!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #30
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
SHHHHH! The boss stayed gone until about 4pm, so I got to round 56!!! Neener Neener!

You can leave your lifelines in til you're done, if ya want!

I'm not a chart reader, either! Now, I'm questioning whether the chart is different and I don't think it is. If I recall, in his blog page about the pattern, he states that the chart was done for the benefit of chart readers and you actually need to refer to the written pattern as you're reading the chart. I sat down and compared them and they appear to be the same thing. The chart is for the entire stitch pattern and he states that you'll start each increase row in the center of his chart. He also stated that the chart will help anyone wanting to make their Hemlock Ring larger by showing how the stitch pattern tier continues. I will either have to get used to the chart or write mine out because I'm planning on making this into a table cloth and will need at least 60" in diameter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I interpreted. Hmmm, might pay to ask the man, ya reckon? LOL! Oh where, oh where can our DUSTINAC be, oh where, oh where can she be???

I did email Jared and asked for this direct answers on this...yes, I know there's a Yahoo KAL, but wanted an answer from "THE MAN"!
I am sooooooooo jealous! You are 3/4 done. I'll catch up, calling in sick to work, I'll have my protien bars next to me, all three versions of Lord of the Rings. LOL
You are so great, asking the "Man". He does some amazining things and so talented. One of these days. LOL
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote