Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #31
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I did receive a reply from Jared and am correct:

"Yes, the chart just visually represents what goes on in the written instructions, although it continues increasing in the Feather and Fan pattern beyond where the written pattern ends. If you want to make something 60 inches in diameter, you will need to extend the pattern beyond the limits of what is written out."

SO KNIT ON, dear KAL partners!
That's great M, and thanks for asking the "Man"! You are so great! Okay, sounds good about the written pattern. So, you just need to continue from row 86 and start the increase. And I think that is what I am going to do too.
That yarn better get here soon! grrrrrr...
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #32
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

OH...maybe since I am NOT doing anything with this pattern, I may just write out the chart and maybe M, you can double check it for me? heheh
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #33
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Okay, haven't received an answer yet but did find this:

\ means- SSK (slip, slip, K2tog), left slanting decrease: Insert your R needle into 1 stitch on the left needle, as if to knit. Slip it from the L needle onto the R needle (this is called slipping knitwise). Slip a second stitch knitwise. Pass your left needle back through these two stitches, so that the L needle is in front of the R needle. You will note that your R needle is now positioned as if to knit through the back loops. Wrap yarn as usual around R needle, pull through both stitches, and drop both old stitches from the L needle.
Alternate - easier to understand, takes longer to do, looks exactly the same: S1 K1 PSSO

and the chart shows ssk where written instruction shows the S1, K1 PSSO. So there's a difference but not really, as shown in the "Alternate" explanation. It's probably just a matter of preference.
What do you all prefer? SSK or S1 K1 PSSO. I have done both, but what's the actual difference?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #34
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Here is a tip from one of the groups. And I think Mary you had this same problem and figured it out for yourself.
IMPORTANT - Row 35 ends with a K1 - leave off YO K1 YO
Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #35
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Here is a PDF that I created with the corrections on row 35.
It was originally written by hudcathy.
It's more of an updated version of the original Hemlock Doily pattern, and I think it's easier to read.
So, check this pattern out as well...
Attached Files:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DudeWithSticks For This Useful Post:
Lisa1216 (04-08-2008), Rabbitrescuer (04-08-2008)
Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #36
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by DudeWithSticks View Post
Here is a PDF that I created with the corrections on row 35.
It was originally written by hudcathy.
It's more of an updated version of the original Hemlock Doily pattern, and I think it's easier to read.
So, check this pattern out as well...
Okay, so after looking at this pattern, Mary and I decided that it may not be the pattern that we want to do. It's broken out differently.
Mary and I (Gino) will be reworking the charts and written instructions and come up with the best one possible. I am trying to write out the charted pattern from row/rnd 87 to row/rnd 121. And with the help from Mary, we'll get it up soon!
I hope to get my yarn in a few days! YAY...
and my new needles are getting restless!
HAHA...
If you are starting, round 35 should read like this...
Rnd 35: yo, k 1, yo, *sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, yo, k 4, yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, (yo, k 1) twice, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, (k 1, yo) twice. Repeat from * around, ending with k1.
The Following User Says Thank You to DudeWithSticks For This Useful Post:
Rabbitrescuer (04-08-2008)
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #37
Karina
Working the Gusset

I am using the chart that the Yahoo group send to you when you join their group and have had no problems with it at all.
line 35 goes like this you have 34 stitches on your needle.
0, K1, 0, sl1, k2tog, psso, 0, k4, 0, sl1, k2tog, psso, (0,k1) twice, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, you have then used 17 stitches of the 34. then you repeat the process one more time to use the last 17 stitches. I have done up to row 37 and it looks good so far.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #38
mwhite
Instepping Out

Sounds good! I'm using the original pattern and Brooklyn Tweeds chart. It really depends on whether you're going to finish your piece at round 87 or continue on.

The chart is expanded and goes to round 112.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #39
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay All you KAL Peeps!
After a LONG LONG conversation today with Mary, we have found out that there are a lot of variations of Jared's original pattern and if you look closely at a lot of them, they do look differnt than his pattern.
Mary and I are going to follow his pattern and try and come up with a written pattern that follows his original design.
But if you are starting or about to start, go ahead and get them on the needles.
The pattern really doesn't change until the 87th row. And hopefully by that time, we'll have some stuff written out for all of you!
Thanks All...
Also, we've both found out that the Yahoo Group is not so responsive even with over a thousand members. So, I think that if you are wanting to knit this... It's better to do it here where you'll get the help you need.
Gino
Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #40
Karina
Working the Gusset

When I look at Jared's chart it only goes to row 70 so when you talk of row 87 do you mean 46 rows from the original doily plus row 41 from Jared's chart = 87th row.
Did I write that correctly so it makes sense? The 46 rows plus the 70 rows make 116 in total. some people have expanded beyond that and knitted a 120 plus rounds is there a chart for that or is that what you and Mary are working on?
would love for mine to be at least 60 inches across.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote