Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
iza
Turning the Heel

For those on ravelry, there are a few threads on this in the "needlework on the net" forum. I didn't read everything but well, it seems things got a bit ugly between some designers, some customers of HipKnits and the owner of Hipknits/MagKnits...

Ravelry is a great and awesome tool, but with the number of designers, knitters, dyers and spinners that can be found there, sometimes it creates a situation where people try to solve their purchase/payment problems on the forums. I don't think it's the appropriate place to do that, but I guess these people didn't have any other choice...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Jen17
Turning the Heel

Hi,
I have never heard of "cached files" can you explain what they are and how I can access them?
Thanks,
Jen
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen17 For This Useful Post:
Sanibelle (04-10-2008)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

I really don't know the technical logistics, but pages on the Internet often get saved (sort of) at different times. So, you can access a page that was deleted through its saved or cached page. Here's the easiet way to find a page you want.
http://www.archive.org/index.php It's the Way Back Machine, just put your link in there.

Last edited by PCwombat : 04-09-2008 at 10:03 PM.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PCwombat For This Useful Post:
Jen17 (04-08-2008), outdoordrea (04-09-2008)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
Sajomaro
1st Leg of the Journey

I too was just about to start a pattern from MagKnits. Thanks Krystal for the tip about cached sites. I noticed you don't get images when you do it that way. Good thing the pattern doesn't have a chart.

BTW - A thread has been started on Ravelry's Needlework on the Net forum requesting Magknits designers link to their patterns new location. There are already a few that have and I'm sure more will as soon as they get it set up.

My Blog!
Stick-ee Creations

I'm Sajomaro on Ravelry too!
Sajomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Aw, it's too bad it had to end this way without even a warning for the designers. I feel especially bad for this month's designers. But with how it blew up on Ravelry, it's not surprising.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I save every pdf pattern that I even remotely like. I wish every pattern online was pdf! Seriously. That's too handy. If I run across one that I can't live without that isn't pdf I copy/paste it in an email and save it as a draft until I can print it or have time to put it in Word.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Sajomaro View Post
BTW - A thread has been started on Ravelry's Needlework on the Net forum requesting Magknits designers link to their patterns new location. There are already a few that have and I'm sure more will as soon as they get it set up.
It's here - http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/needl...the-net/156996

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Krystal (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #18
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jen17 View Post
Hi,
I have never heard of "cached files" can you explain what they are and how I can access them?
Thanks,
Jen
It doesn't work for EVERY site, but a cache is basically like a peek BACK... so if a site is cancelled today you can view the 'cached' page. Usually the links and pictures with not load, but the text will... If a site changes it's layout but the cache wasn't updated yet, and you viewed the cached page, it will look like the old design, with or without the graphics if they are there...

To get my pattern I just went to google and typed "Magknits Kaleidoscope" (the name of the site and name of the pattern) and the first link was the one I needed.

here is screencap of what I mean...

instead of clicking on the obvious link, you would click the "cached" link. For me, my cached page looks like this no pictures, but the text is still in tact so I could copy the pattern.

The Way Back Machine is a website that is all about past versions of websites, but they don't always have what I am looking for. I find googling it works easier for me... if I couldn't find it that way, I'd check out the way back machine.

---

Originally Posted by Sajomaro View Post
I too was just about to start a pattern from MagKnits. Thanks Krystal for the tip about cached sites. I noticed you don't get images when you do it that way. Good thing the pattern doesn't have a chart.

Your welcome, I am glad I could help you. I'm glad some of the designers got their stuff up so quick. :D

----

Originally Posted by mwedzi View Post
Aw, it's too bad it had to end this way without even a warning for the designers. I feel especially bad for this month's designers. But with how it blew up on Ravelry, it's not surprising.
I totally agree, it really is a shame. I don't read the forums on Ravelry much at all, so I didn't see any of the blow up... It's too bad that it had to go that route.

----

Originally Posted by Cynamar View Post
I save every pdf pattern that I even remotely like. I wish every pattern online was pdf! Seriously. That's too handy. If I run across one that I can't live without that isn't pdf I copy/paste it in an email and save it as a draft until I can print it or have time to put it in Word.
That's a good habit to have. I am definitely going to do that from now on. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #19
boo1
Turning the Heel

Bummer.....
Can't the authors of the patterns publish them elsewhere, even for a small fee? That would be better than having them all disappear.

Sure would have been nice to have some heads-up on this.

Laura

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #20
Banrion
Ribbing the Cuff

For those of you who like PDF's, you can download this Freeware, Cute PDF, and make a PDF of anything you want, webpages, word documents, e-mails. Anything you can print can be turned into a PDF.
Banrion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Banrion For This Useful Post:
HollyP (04-09-2008), KnittingNat (04-15-2008), Krystal (04-09-2008), momwolf (04-09-2008), Plantgoddess+ (04-15-2008), Ronda (04-09-2008), scout52 (04-09-2008), Simply_Renee (04-10-2008)