Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Paid $20 to remove a splinter!
Yes, really.

Took our 4 year old dd to the playground the other day...one of those huge treated wood monstrosity of a "fun zone" kind of places. (It's ugly, but good golly...it's wicked fun!). Dd was chasing me up the stairs to the slide and wouldn't you know it...got a big ole splinter in her thumb. Two seconds after we got there!

When we got home later, we tried the old peroxide trick (with little slivers, just pour peroxide over it and it will bubble the sliver out!), but her splinter was to big (think triangular and we couldn't find the opening to get it out).

Dh and I sat on the floor with dd and tried to get it out with a needle and some tweezers, but she was hysterical and freaked out every time we tried to touch it. So we made an appointment with our family doctor.

HE USED A SCALPEL! And she didn't even flinch or whimper.

Stinker! It cost us a $20 copay to get it out, and everyone thinks we're nuts for taking her to the dr for a splinter, but hey, it had to come out. You can't just leave it in there.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote