Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #151
Krystal
Turning the Heel

This thread is bringing back so many memories for me. When I was 13 - 16 I was studying Wicca/Paganism. I was planning to dedicate myself and adopt it as my religion on my 18th birthday. So for 3 yrs I was reading anything and everything I could. Learning about the different aspects, and options available. I wanted to have a solid belief and a thorough knowledge when I did my pledge.

I remember telling my mom, (who was raised Catholic, but is a non practicing Christian -esque spirtual type. lol) And she didn't know anything about it, so I am trying to explain and she said "Can't you just plant a tree and believe in Jesus under it?"

She was ok with it as long as it wasn't Devil Worship tho.

However, I never did do that pledge. I decided that the structure of an actual religion was not something that made me happy, it made me feel more guilty than anything. Which was the same reason I was no longer an active Christian like I was when I was 12. I wasn't getting the fulfillment that I think you should get from a religion.

I really loved the basics of the Pagan religion however, just as I love aspects of Christianity, and Buddhism, and even a smidgen of Judaism. So I find that instead of practicing one, I practice none, but incorporate my favourite things of each into my life.

I pray to whomever listens, I believe in the universe, the power of love, and myself. I incorporate aspects from everything into my everyday life.

It's amazing when you really listen to all sides if a religion. You can find how similar they really are. The root of all the religions I have learned about, is be a good person, and do no harm. What's more wonderful than that?

I found my fulfillment by my own personal combination. I don't think I would have that if I hadn't found Paganism. It was the missing piece for me.

I love seeing how diverse everyone's practice is. From coven's to solitaires, kitchen witch's to dabblers... It's amazing how we can interpret one thing to mean so many different things.

Last edited by Krystal : 04-05-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krystal For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (04-07-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #152
jacquiw
Casting On

I am not a follwer of any belief but I like paganism and tend to lean that way. But I am a crocheter not a knitter either so does that count lol.
jacquiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #153
eladine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to eladine
Originally Posted by DragonsChest View Post
I do not attend church, because I am not religious. I am spiritual. I believe that there are many paths to the truth, and you take the one that leaves the world a better place than when you found it. There is Good and Evil in the world, and you have to choose which you want to follow.

I can't believe I just found this thread!!

DragonsChest, I completely agree with your sentiment, and feel very much the same way - I am not religious, but I am spiritual.

In fact both me and my other half are.

I am very much into crystal healing, I practise Reiki, and think there are far too many complex paths than can be nicely packaged up into "one" religion.

Amongst other things, am trying to find an appropriate marriage ceremony for me and my partner that suits our beliefs... not having all that much luck yet though! The handfasting sounds quite interesting though - how would you go about finding someone to perform one though?! #heads to google...#

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi!

Love and light,

Eladine.
eladine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #154
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Eladine, check for a minister in the Universal Life Church in your area. Many of them are licensed to perform marriages, and you may be able to find someone to work with on developing your own ceremony.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
eladine (04-07-2008)
Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #155
Raeknitsnwa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raeknitsnwa
New to Paganism
I am new to learning Wicca I have been reading books about it off & on I am quite interested in learning more I have listened to a few podcasts & I am wondering where online I can learn more about it I would love to hear from any of you..I knit I can't crochet to save my life lol..

Rae
Raeknitsnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #156
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

hurrah for May Day
Originally Posted by Eccie View Post
May Day is coming up. Is anyone doing anything to celebrate? If you're in or near NC there is the Beltane Brouhaha. We've been going for the last few years.
Thanks for posting! May Day is my fav holiday of the year; I have to start planning this year's celebration!

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #157
Jenn_Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Raeknitsnwa View Post
I am new to learning Wicca I have been reading books about it off & on I am quite interested in learning more I have listened to a few podcasts & I am wondering where online I can learn more about it I would love to hear from any of you..I knit I can't crochet to save my life lol..

Rae
Hello, Rae! Some great sources online are:

www.witchvox.com
www.bewitchingways.com
www.ecauldron.com (just be forewarned, this is not a Wicca-specific site and some of the people there are a bit full of themselves; however, it's a great resource if you just browse through the topics on the forums.)
Jenn_Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn_Knitter For This Useful Post:
Raeknitsnwa (04-13-2008)
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #158
Raeknitsnwa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raeknitsnwa
Wanting To Learn
I finished To Ride A Silver Broomstick & I am now reading To Stir A Magick Cauldron by Silver Raven Wolf I would have been further in the book but you know I have to get in some knitting time..I am really enjoying these book has anyone else read them ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OTN-Baby Blanket for Neice & Second Fingerless Mitt
Raeknitsnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #159
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

I haven't read those yet - but I can recommend
"The Sabbats: A New Approach to Living the Old Ways " by Edain_McCoy and "Wheel of the Year" by Pauline Campanelli.

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carol_OH For This Useful Post:
Raeknitsnwa (04-14-2008)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #160
Jenn_Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Raeknitsnwa View Post
I finished To Ride A Silver Broomstick & I am now reading To Stir A Magick Cauldron by Silver Raven Wolf I would have been further in the book but you know I have to get in some knitting time..I am really enjoying these book has anyone else read them ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OTN-Baby Blanket for Neice & Second Fingerless Mitt
Read them and, honestly, do not agree with them. I prefer the more "traditional Wicca" authors such as Doreen Valiente and Janet and Stewart Farrar.
Jenn_Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote