Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
emz
Casting On

how to cable?
I'm following my first pattern..

and i've come to a part that says :C4F, C4b...actually while posting this i've seen a direction how to do it, but im going to check anyway, because i'll cry and cry if i go wrong now!

So these instructions say for the C4F to slip 2 stitches off and leave at the front, when i've accidently done that it unravels a bit and can be tricky to get back..? infact, i don't understand at all, it says to slip them of then knitt two from the front of the work?

why not just knit them in the first place, im sure theres something i'mm not understanding, so could anyone explain it really simply please?
emz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
emz
Casting On

ohhhh, i think i just got it, i drop two of, then knit two, then go back and knit the two i dropped off?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Jints
Turning the Heel

Yes, You can do cables like that without a spare needle but it is often done by slipping the two sts onto a separate DPN or cable needle (they won't unravel), leave in front (or back) of work, knit next two sts, then k the sts off that DPN needle when you are ready.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jints For This Useful Post:
emz (04-11-2008)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
emz
Casting On

thanks, i put them onto a paintbrush while i knitted the other two, now i need to do the C4B, but it says to knit two from the back of the work, i don't really understand what it means, or how to do it? :S
Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

You've got the right idea, but instead of just slipping them off, you should really slip them onto a cable needle or a double pointed needle, or even an extra regular needle close to the same size you're using. That way the stitches won't be as likely to unravel.

You know, cables look so complicated that many newbies won't even try them, so you deserve a big pat on the back for have the courage to do so! Just don't let the non-knitters know how easy they are or we'll all lose our mystique!
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spokaloo For This Useful Post:
emz (04-11-2008)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
emz
Casting On

easy?! i wish, hopefully they'll get easier, im lost at the moment as to the knitting from the back. I have a theory that the stereotypical grannies who knitt away like crazy are fakes, they buy something then tap the needles really quickly to fool people.... they must do! i'm super slow, and hunch over staring at it a lot!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

It's just like for the front. You put 2 sts on a separate needle (or your paintbrush! that was a great idea) and let it hang behind your work (before, you let it hang at the front of the work). You then knit the next 2 sts, then come back to the ones hanging at the back.

So, C4F - you put 2 on a cable needle and let it hang at the front of the work, knit next 2, then come back and knit the 2 on the cable needle.

C4B - you put 2 sts on cable needle and let hang at the back of the work, knit next 2 sts, come back and knit the 2 on the cable needle.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
emz (04-11-2008)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
emz
Casting On

ah, sounds easy enough *probably spoke too soon* will try it now thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by emz View Post
easy?! i wish, hopefully they'll get easier, im lost at the moment as to the knitting from the back. I have a theory that the stereotypical grannies who knitt away like crazy are fakes, they buy something then tap the needles really quickly to fool people.... they must do! i'm super slow, and hunch over staring at it a lot!
I never thought of that! But have faith in yourself!

Cables are all done by simply knitting stitches out of order. To do this, you simply slip stitches onto a cable needle and hold them either in front or in back of your work as you knit the next stitches from your left needle, then go back to the held stitches and knit them!

Hang in there!
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
emz
Casting On

yeah, i think i have the hang of it now, just needed it to click and was scared of doing it wrong and messing it up.