Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I knit the way you do, always have. Other than having to decrease a little differently I haven't run into any problems that would cause me to relearn the 'right' way

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eccie For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Good for you for figuring out how to knit at all...it took me an army of books, needles the size of drumsticks (think chicken instead of drum LOL) and a YEAR of fussing and cussing! I actually figured out the knit stitch just fine but for the life of me couldn't get the purl stitch. I think learning to knit is teaching me patience and perseverance among other things!

Congratulations!!! I'm proud of you - combined knitting or regular - now you can do either one!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
of troy
Turning the Heel

45 years knitting, and all of them throught the back loop (when knitting)

there is NO WRONG WAY TO KNIT.

there are knitted fabrics that are not what you desired, or planned or thought you where knitting.

but there is no wrong way to knit.

if you want stocking knit stitch (and get stocking knit stitch) it doesn't matter if you:
knit though the back loop
or
knit with yarn in right hand
or
knit with yarn in left hand
or
formed the purls with your thumbs
or
knit from left needle to right, and followed that with a row of
knitting from right needle to left
or
(fill in blank)

if you wanted stocking knit, and got twisted (every row) or
half twisted (every other row twisted)

then you have a problem

and there are lots of ways to resolve the problem.

there is one style of knitting (KNIT AND PURLS always mounted so that untwisted stitches are made by knitting or purling into the front of the loop) that is SIGNIFIGANTLY more common in US/ Canada/UK and UK commonwealth countries.

but that is just one style of knitting.

world wide, there are several styles of knitting. none of them are RIGHT or WRONG. they are just different styles.
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
newkster
Casting On

So Basically it's not a sin to twist the stiches? A lady during lunch at the yarn store told me that I was not supposed to knit through the back and that I needed to change beginning with my next project... I told her that my blanket looks fine, but she said that it was absolutely wrong because it was twisted...

OTN:
Baby Blanket: for unborn cousin
newkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Newbie2Knitting
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Newbie2Knitting
Oh, heavens. Some people are just bent on doing things the "right" way, whatever that is. Just look at Of Troy's post above. Her post should show you that there are a zillion ways to knit and all of them are just fine. It all boils down to personal preference. Lastly, welcome to KH and knitting. And most importantly, enjoy it.

I'm KnittedSister on Ravelry - come visit with me!
Newbie2Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie2Knitting For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It may have looked like `twisting' to her, but if you wrap your purls the opposite way, it untwists them. If it looks like the sample here - http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...&rplus=0&sym=0 you may be knitting twisted. A picture of your work would tell us best.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Of Troy pointed out that if your stitches are all twisted and that is not what you want then there are things to do to change that. Most knitting that you see is not all twisted, it is not standard, and not hard to straighten it out. You either knit in the front loop or on the purl rows wrap the opposite direction. But if you like the twists there is no one to stop you from doing it that way. :-)

Many of us who have learned a lot on our own (or been taught in nonstandard ways) do all kinds of things that are not standard. Sometimes we never even know. If we find out, we have the option of learning a new way. (This is not that hard for most of us.) Or knitting on the way we learned. Whatever you do, enjoy it.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
of troy
Turning the Heel

twisted stitches are not wrong.. but they are not part of standard stocking knit.

(just as cables aren't part of standard stocking knit, or purls (on front of work)

twisted stitches are twisted stitches.

stocking knit is defined as:

ONE side of work, knits, the other side of the work, Purls.

it's not alternate rows of twisted knits and plain knits.

REMEMBER--knitting stitches are defined by how they look, not by how they are worked.

so Purl every row is just a valid a way to make 'garter stitch" as is knit ever row.

and K1, P1 is the pattern for 1 X 1 ribbing (even number of stitches--every row)

and K1, P1 is the pattern for seed stitch (odd number of stitches--every row)

same basic directions, very different fabrics

The FABRIC (outcome) is what is important, not the process.

if you have alternate rows of twisted stitches in a fabric that is supposed to be stocking knit, you don't have right!

if you have row after row of knits on one side, and row after row of purls on the other, it is right, no matter what process you used to get that effect!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
Originally Posted by newkster View Post
So Basically it's not a sin to twist the stiches? A lady during lunch at the yarn store told me that I was not supposed to knit through the back and that I needed to change beginning with my next project... I told her that my blanket looks fine, but she said that it was absolutely wrong because it was twisted...
When I first started out I was wrapping the yarn clockwise for knit, and counterclockwise for purl. It made the ribbing on my first hate VERY tight!! But the main part of the hat was all stockinette, so it looked just fine. The hat was too big, but otherwise good.

Now, I'd like to say this is the only knitting "mistake" I've made . . but of course that's not true! Knitting continues... Now you know both ways to do it. You can choose. For many projects it won't really matter.
newkster (04-18-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #20
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

If you don't want the stitches twisted, you just have to figure out whether the knits or purls are twisted and change the direction you're wrapping. Took me a looooong time to figure that out...everybody was too busy yelling at me for knitting Continental to tell me. When I'm knitting stickinette on straight needles, I wrap from the needle outward on both sides. Knitting on circulars or garter stitch on straights, I wrap toward the needle. Your mileage may vary :D...but if you like it, it's all good.
newkster (04-18-2008)