Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hi! Well, I don't know but for me those things seem bothersome.

What's wrong with regular ol' fences? The real problem though, is our mailman had a dog he just loved so very much. He had the invisible fence for a year or so but just recently, a really loud motorcycle went by and his dog just ran right through the thing and got hit and killed. So, that's something to think about.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by VictoiseC View Post
Hi! Well, I don't know but for me those things seem bothersome.

What's wrong with regular ol' fences? The real problem though, is our mailman had a dog he just loved so very much. He had the invisible fence for a year or so but just recently, a really loud motorcycle went by and his dog just ran right through the thing and got hit and killed. So, that's something to think about.
Regular ol' fences are expensive. If you go cheap, they are ugly. If you live in an area with a Homeowner's Association, you may be restricted as to where you can put it and what type.

An invisible fence will not keep other animals out. It is also recommended to not leave animals out unsupervised, although the only time I had a problem with my dog running through the fence, he wasn't wearing his collar.

The Invisible Fence installer programs the collar so that the jolt given to the dog is calibrated to something strong enough to get his attention but weak enough to not be harmful to him.

I have no idea how the collars are calibrated for the other brands, including the do-it-yourself ones.

Without knowing anything about your mailman or his fence, I do not know if it was the type of fence, the training, or anything else. All of the stories that I have heard about dogs running through the fence have been for non-IF brand fences.

I have heard success stories with non-IF brand fences, but all of the failure stories that I have heard are with non-IF only. That's just my little world.

I know that we didn't leave our dog alone until we were absolutely certain that he would not go past the line on his own.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

I am sorry to hear about your friends dog getting hit by the motorcycle.
But training is a big part of the IF usage. Some dogs just can not be trained to stay in the space if they get crazy over things going by. Those are maybe better off with a regular fence. We never left our dog alone outside for long peiods of time and she did well.
It boils down to how welll your dog can be trained and also what kind of area you live in that might tempt your dog and he just has to go after what ever it is.
These fences are like everything else, they work for some people and their dogs and others it just doesn't work out. Only the owners will know if they can train their dog or not.
You could just get a lab, they never run away, ours goes outside and just waits around for us, usually looking in the patio window. LOL
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I would just like to be able to open the door and let them out to go potty instead of taking them out one by one. Cuz when 3 have to go no one wants to wait!