Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Yay for Justice :-)
Hi again - sorry for the two threads, just lots going on :-) I just wanted to let anyone who was following the murder of the Goth girl (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7291985.stm) in the UK that the sentences have been passed, and are fantastic.
This case has been tragic and horrifying, but, as awful as it's been, at least a little good has come from it. A lot of the stigma surrounding the gothic community has been removed, and some very high-up people have commented on it. One of the police chiefs said that they almost never have any problems with goths - their cells are filled with so-called 'normal' kids, and the only time they really see the goths is when they've been attacked. The judge reflected this in his summing-up -
Quote:
described the Goth community as "perfectly peaceful law-abiding people who pose no threat to anybody".
He said: "This was a hate crime against these completely harmless people targeted because their appearance was different to yours."
Three of the five who were responsible were sentenced earlier, to between 4 and bit and 5 and a bit years, but the other two were tried as adults (they were 15 and 16 when it happened) and were sentenced to 18 and 16 years before the possibility of parole, and only then if they've never been in trouble while in prison. If they do get out after that, they'll be under supervision for 10 years and any trouble will result in them being back in jail. The judge invoked special procedures for this trial, and, although it will never bring her back, at least a clear message has been sent to others like them (and there's a lot of them) that there'll be no suspended sentences or cautions or ridiculous other punishments for attacking people because they dress differently.
It's been such a sad case, but finally people are talking about how often goths are targetted for attacks. On nights out, not many go by without some kind of 'freak' taunts, or other such original jibes. I'm lucky enough *touch wood* never to have been attacked, but I know people who have, and not much has been done because there are so many neds that you can't really tell who did it. It's sad that it's taken something like this to make people just talk to the 'weirdos' and find out that, for the most part, they're lovely people who are smart, considerate and kind. Of course there's some jerks and some people who just want attention, but you find them in *every* culture, in every race, in every group of people.
So anyway, sorry for the rant but I just wanted to say yay! for a judge coming down hard on people who deserved it. For the full story of the sentencing - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7370637.stm
Thanks for listening to the rant ;-)
Fi

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
figaro
Working the Gusset

for justice! Sounds like that was the perfect judge for that case. It is sad that it took a innocent girl had to lose her life because of some stupid kids for some open dialog to start.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
WOOHOO To the judge!!!

Stacia
Proud mom of a goth
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I just read the links you posted. What a horrifying story. I'm glad that judge put those boys away for a long time. They have ruined so many lives, including their own. It depresses me seeing young kids committing these acts. I wonder why there are so many children nowadays who think violence is okay. I truly can't believe it's video games and movies. Where are the parents to help kids make sense of the world and teach them right from wrong? I'm only 38 and I fear for my safety when I'm old in a world ruled by such people as these.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote