Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

places/times when it's best not to knit?
I have to remake 2 sleeves, since the 2nd one was coming out quite a bit tighter (& smaller). Just realized that most of it was worked on while waiting at a dental clinic, and this week since my dental surgery. (Surgeon actually commented that I was so relaxed I could knit before going in, I told him I was trying to stay calm. Obviously I was wrong.)

What places have you discovered not conducive to good knitting?
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.

But as a general rule--I think you can knit pretty much anywhere so long as you are aware of your surroundings and your company. If it becomes clear that you are bothering others, put the needles away. I have, for example, knitted away in a dentist office waiting room too. And there were TWO other women doing the same!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I usually knit in waiting rooms, guess it depends how apprehensive one feels about what's about to happen?!

How rude of those girls during that play.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by gotta knit View Post
How rude of those girls during that play.
I know, it kind of blew my mind. I give them the benefit of the doubt though--I truly think they were just completely clueless instead of being intentionally rude. Some people forget there's an entire world around.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by HamaLee View Post
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.
Ok...having worked in a theatre for 10 years...I must say...that is horrible...especially in the front row.

I mean...if it were plastic needles...at the back...maybe but really...why are you even at the theatre if you are not going to take it in. I can knit in front of the TV, but theatre is an all senses experience...and selling tix for a living...they aren't cheap....

That really disgusts me!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!

Last edited by Crycket : 05-07-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I haven't done this myself...but I would think knitting at a funeral might not be appropriate.....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
Kind of two questions going in this thread....one is where is inappropriate and the other is where it might be difficult to knit effectively. I think you're really asking about the second one, right?

I think each situation is different for each person -

I personally don't knit in restaurants because if I'm going out to a meal with someone I feel like I should completely there not looking down or only half paying attention. I do knit during waiting times at doctors offices because no one needs my attention. So basically..if something requires your attention such as a play then it's not appropriate.

As to the other part of the question.. I can't really knit a car (motion sickness aside) because I find it too distracting with all the visuals flying by the window. Some types of projects are hard to knit when you're stressed out, too. I would stick to simple projects for stressful situations.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

You may all knit at my funeral- I won't mind I promise!

I would not knit at a play, concert, during church, at lunch with a friend... I would knit on the bus/train/plane, while waiting in a waiting room or for someone somewhere- or just about anywhere else. (anyone else having a Green Eggs & Ham moment right now?) I went to a b-day party for my niece @ their house this weekend and brought my knitting to show (they were underwhelmed- why do I do this to people? ) but didn't knit while there.

I recently met a friend for coffee at a coffee shop and knitted for a little bit, but when we really started talking I put it away. I didn't want her to think I wasn't listening, although she didn't mind. Plus I kept purling when I should be knitting and vice versa.

It came up on another thread on Ravelry that many people focus better when they're doing something with their hands. (while justifying them knitting in church-I am a UU therefore liberal but wow- no way would I do that during a sermon!) I can understand that- but would never want someone to think I wasn't paying attention or had to have any more "entertainment" than their company.

As for the tight sleeve issue- I do need to be able to somewhat concentrate if there is any sort of pattern going on or I make mistakes. I am pretty good at knitting without looking if it's stockinette or garter all the way across. I don't notice a big variety in my tension- but then again I haven't knit sleeves yet!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
SandraS
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm a very private type person, so I don't knit in public at all. I don't welcome the inevitable questions. That's just me. I knit to escape, not interact.
As for when I've learned NOT to knit, or at least make it simple..........during Dancing With the Stars! I can't keep up with a pattern for anything. I work on a basic sock when I watch that!
SandraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Simply_Renee View Post
You may all knit at my funeral- I won't mind I promise!

LOL! I agree with this one! Let your heirs know beforehand though, so they won't throw us out!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote