Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #21
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Once when the power was out I tried to knit by candlelight and by flashlight. Neither worked for me. Good lighting is important to me or my eyes tire quickly.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I don't have to watch my knitting unless I'm doing a complicated pattern, so I'll knit while watching a movie (with my family or friends at home, not at the theatre) with the lights out. It drives my mom crazy.
Inappropriate places include high school class, I was disappointed to learn. Actually my teacher didn't say anything to me, but my parentals saw my needles in my bag and flipped. I didn't point out to them that I was at the time in dire need of something to keep my hands occupied at all times. This is very unusual for me, and most people would be surprised to learn that I had this phase because people who just fidget drive me mad (though if they're actually doing something it doesn't bother me).

Bad places/times to knit:
While drunk. I haven't tried it as I've never been drunk and I avoid anything that could possibly be messed up if I've even had one beverage.
While reading a novel. I simply haven't figured out the logistics yet, and it results in many dropped stitches.
While eating dinner (at home, alone, whatever). Sorry but there's just too much risk of getting something on my lovely yarn.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #23
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
I wanted to take my knitting to a baseball game in a suite with a few fellow employees and my husband. I decided against it and then when I got there, someone commented that they were surprised that I didn't bring my knitting. I am not into baseball, so I thought it would be great for me, but rather rude to others.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
I'm not having a funeral.. I'm having a celebration of life, and I want my friends to do what they would like.. be it knititng, crocheting or cross stitch.

I've informed my family of this, and know they will follow through with my wishes.

I did find knitting while waiting in the room at the Dr.s for my annual visit did get the Dr. lol. He gently held his hand out.. I pushed the stitches to the middle, and handed it to him.. He placed it on top of my bag and lol. He stated he has had patients knit while in labor, and other things, but that this was a first.
My friends know that knittting relaxes me. They are all use to it, and know that I'm listening to them. They quit testing me, and accept that I am listening. I don't do complex patterns, but simple things.
My boss knits, and allows us to knit during staff meetings. This does make for some nice meetings. But I know that is in the minority.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #25
Cherryblossom
Casting On

Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
My boss knits, and allows us to knit during staff meetings. This does make for some nice meetings. But I know that is in the minority.
I want to work where you work!

I haven't been knitting long so I can't knit and do something!
Cherryblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #26
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I have two college music majors. I always take my knitting to performances, but usually I knit while waiting for it to start, rather than during the performance. I can think of 2-3 performances that I've knit through...and in all cases, the lights were low, the auditorium was not crowded, and I was in back sort of "alone."

I figure it's distracting to others, even if it's quiet. Just the constant movement would likely be distracting, I think.

I also knit in restaurants while waiting for my food, or after I'm finished while waiting for dh to finish or waiting for the check. But only when I go out with dh...he understands, it doesn't bother him, and he knows I'm listening!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

knitting while reading through my notes for my exams has proven difficult - knitting usually wins out, hence i have had to stop knitting until after my exams, so now I'm distracting myself with the forum. I think I need to be locked in a room with just my notes, text books and pencil case - then i'd manage it!

I generally knit while waiting for a train on nice sunny days when u can sit out on the platform - I go up the far end on my own and sit on the bench, that way no-one bothers me. I can't knit while moving - motion sickness. I took my knitting to the drs once but didn't do any because I was scared of missing when they called my name - stupid thing was I knew I was there to have my blood pressure checked and I knew that going to the drs always makes it go up. So I will do some simple knitting next time and save myself sitting for 10 minutes waiting until I've calmed down enough that they can use the reading!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #28
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I think I need to be locked in a room with just my notes, text books and pencil case - then i'd manage it!
That wouldn't help me .... I surely would find something else to do.

Knitting on the train and when waiting for classes to begin...
Sometimes in the car as well, (when I'm NOT driving).

People sometimes think I'm not listening, but I am, especially when doing grannies or other simple things, but I just keep an eye on it to be sure not to miss stitches or split the yarn...
Safe is safe.

When doing something with pattern I have to concentrate, so then sometimes I'm not listening, but generally I don't do complicated things when my mind should be on something else, like conversation.

I haven't tried knitting while walking but I guess it wouldn't be a great success,... even less so with running...
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #29
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
I'm a very private type person, so I don't knit in public at all. I don't welcome the inevitable questions. That's just me. I knit to escape, not interact.
I love the inevitable questions! I knit a lot at work, and a lot of what I end up knitting is socks, so there are the 5 needles. My favorite comment to date was when I was knitting these socks and someone said something like "wow, I didn't think you could make socks like that, I always just buy mine at the store" I felt very accomplished!

I also tend to get a lot of comments about how hard it must be to knit on so many needles. I always find it funny!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I would find it extremely hard to knit at a camp. I am a Girl Guide leader, and I think, as much as I would love to sit and knit, I probably wouldn't get too much done.

However, I think that it would be directly proportional to how many girls, how old they were, and how involved I was with the camp. If I planned it, I don't sleep/sit/eat while I am there...cause I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off....If I was just there to be an extra body (hasn't happened yet) then I could probably find many a moment to knit!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote