Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I have been looking, too, but I really want all metal and those ain't cheap!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
Knit4Fun (05-10-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have an Elna basic machine which has 21 stitches, 1 step button hole and so on. and it sews really well.
I also have a Janome MC9500 which is a beautiful machine but a lot more expensive. The features that I really like is needle threader and the start stop button so you don't have to use a foot control. Also one feature that I really dislike on the Janome is that the spool of thread lays down on the spool holder and quite a few times the thread gets tangled as it comes off the spool.
The Elna have the spool holder on the top so the thread stands upright and the thread tangling has never been an issue with that machine.

If you have seen a machine you like at Costco, If I was you I would try and find a store that sells this make of machine and have a go on it before you make up your mind. Also check out prices on the Internet for the same machine. Costco is not always cheaper, at least not in this country.

Good luck in your search for your perfect machine.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I'm going to take my time and keep looking and asking around - I'm keeping a list of what others say so I can use that to help me decide. I think I'm turning into my father...used to be that I would want something and if I could afford it, I went and got it...now I look at Consumer Report and research first! I think I've hit the stage where I'd rather have three things I really love and that last than a hundred that are cheap whims that don't, you know?

Thanks for the recommendations...keep 'em coming!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Last year I purchased a refurbished Singer 2662 directly from their website at www.Singer.com to replace my Singer Stylemate which doesn't have the free-arm or the see-thru bobbin cover. I paid $159 which I think is a decent price for the features. They included most presser feet that will be needed and includeda dust cover. I like both machines. They both work great. I too had been looking at various brands and models in the stores, but decided this was the best deal.

I never test drove any of my sewing machines, but they all work well. My 1st machine was a featherweight Singer....bought back in the '60s....DH uses it.

You can't always go by what Consumer Reports says. I have a Toastmaster Bread Maker's Hearth that they didn't have much good to say about it and I LOVE it....don't want any other toaster oven unless they come out with one that has a convection feature.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjc1050 For This Useful Post:
Knit4Fun (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
GinnyG
Instepping Out

You got me thinking about sewing machines.... mine is over 25 years old (New Home) and with a new grandchild on the way I see some quilts in my future. My college age daughter just asked me to make her a quilt for christmas this year. I used to quildt but haven't done much since I strated knitting.

I've been looking at the Joann site, they have t limited edition Brother, Project Runway with 294 stitches, with the 40% off coupon it would be less than $300.00

Does anyone know anything about that machine?
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
Knit4Fun (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

www.patternreview.com has reviews for just about all sewing machines. That's what helped me decide that the Singer I bought last year was a good value for my needs.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjc1050 For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (05-10-2008), Knit4Fun (05-10-2008)
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
Jenn_Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Older Brother sewing machines are great. New ones (unless you buy one of the snazzier models) are horrible. I ended up returning mine to the store I purchased it from after using it twice and took the money and a little extra I had and bought a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 and never looked back.

My best advice - if you are able, spend a little extra on a good quality machine now. It will make your sewing experience much more enjoyable. A bad machine can turn a person off to machine sewing in a heartbeat. Plus, you have to spend more money to buy a new, better quality machine.
Jenn_Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn_Knitter For This Useful Post:
Knit4Fun (05-15-2008)
Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a little Pfaff and I love it, it suits my needs just fine and I got it gently used from a local sew/vac shop for $200.

I'll reiterate what a previous poster said though, where you buy it is at least as important as what kind of machine you get. I've got nothing against big box stores in general, but if you buy your sewing machine from a place like Target or Walmart and you need help with it, you can't take it in and have an experienced person help you out. With my machine, I can take it in for service if I need it, or if I need help figuring something out I can take it to the lady I bought it from and ask her. She is wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable and I know I wouldn't get that kind of service at Target.

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fireflyknitter For This Useful Post:
Knit4Fun (05-16-2008)
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Good point...

It makes me sad how it used to be that there weren't these box stores, so you always were able to develop relationships with sellers so things seemed more personalized and true than they often do now.

I am going to look up some of the sewing stores in our area - I know there is a Jenome dealer close to me - and talk to them first.

You people are amazing me...I think I'm about the only one of you who doesn't sew...YET! :-)

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
GinnyG
Instepping Out

You have rekindled the sewing bug.... not that I have any free time to sew. Would LOVE to get a new machine. Unfortunately the machine I "covet" is the Bernina 430 QE and it goes for about $3,000
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote