Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Crochet Edging
I'm even less than a 'newbie', so is there a name for a negative-newbie? I need some help with a pattern but I'm not even sure I know what to ask.

I knitted a washcloth and it is supposed to be finished with a crochet edging. I kind of know how to single crochet, but other than that I'm lost.

Anyway, after binding off the last row (except for the very last stitch) here are the directions:

1. Place last stitch on crochet hook (this is the only one I think I understand!)
2. Ch 1 (where? does this mean pick up a stitch on the edge?)
3. 3 sc in same corner (does this mean sc 3 times and then put it into a side edge stitch?)
4. sc evenly spaced around the outside of the dishcloth working 3 sc in each corner (same as above)
5. join with sl st in first sc (I looked up slip stitch but I still don't get what I'm supposed to do)

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
schoen1605
Ribbing the Cuff

NexStitch has some videos of how to chain, sc, sl st, etc.
For ch 1, one pulls yarn through the loop around the hook to end up with a loop around the hook.
To sc 3 in same corner, one does a sc in the corner and then another one and then another one.
Here's how I did an edging. (I didn't start out with a ch 1 since I was switching colors.)
schoen1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schoen1605 For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-05-2008)
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

I was going to recommend nexstitch.com too. I always go there for help with stitches etc. the videos are great. Another good site is crochetcabana.com She has step by step instructions for a lot of things. Let us know how you make out, and post a pic of your cloth when you finish it. Don't give up now, you're almost done!!
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-05-2008)
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Thank you! These are great websites. I will look at these more closely when I have more time (probably will have to be on a weekend).

I want to learn more about crochet. I went ahead and tried to crochet the edge of the dishcloth. The edge looks 'okay', not bad but not exactly great, so I know I need to improve.

What looks the worst are the corners. I think I'm doing the sc 3 correctly, but I'm not exactly sure where to place the 3 sc's afterwards. I'm doing the sc 3 at the top of the edge, then going into the first knit stitch around the corner on the next edge. Not sure if that explains it very well.

Anyway, I've been trying to find a video that shows how to crochet around a corner, but so far I haven't been able to find it. I see a lot of crochet edging on blankets and dishcloths, so I thought it would be easy to find a video for this.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
sideways
Ribbing the Cuff

If this helps:

For the corners, you make 3 crochet stitches in the same space, all right next to each other.

The bottom of the stitches will be crowded together, but the tops will fan out. This forms the corner curve that makes the transition from one all-straight edge to the next.
McKnitty (05-16-2008)
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

You might want to try a granny square to help you. Crochetcabana.com has step by step instructions that are really good. If you know how to do corners on a granny, it might help with corners on other projects. Just a thought!
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-16-2008)