Old 05-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Rectangle Shawls for Afghanistan Women
Some of you have probably already heard of this:
http://www.afghansforafghans.org/rec...lcampaign.html

I'm probably too late getting started on this, but I'm gonna give it the old college try. The shawls must be completed by July, so I'm really cutting it close.

I'm using a vintage wool pompadour I got on eBay a couple years ago. It was in a vintage crochet kit to make a simple top. I haven't known what I was going to make with it, and when I read about this project, I knew it would work perfectly.

The shawls are supposed to measure at least 20 x 66 inches, so I'm sure I have enough yarn. (I have 7 ounces according to my postal scale)

Here is what I've gotten done so far:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
pinnut3200
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I'm probably too late getting started on this, but I'm gonna give it the old college try. The shawls must be completed by July, so I'm really cutting it close.

I'm using a vintage wool pompadour I got on eBay a couple years ago. It was in a vintage crochet kit to make a simple top. I haven't known what I was going to make with it, and when I read about this project, I knew it would work perfectly.

The shawls are supposed to measure at least 20 x 66 inches, so I'm sure I have enough yarn. (I have 7 ounces according to my postal scale)
Sandy, it looks nice. I considered working on a shawl for this campaign, but I knew I would never finish it in time. It took me nearly two years to finish a prayer shawl.

I didn't know that pampadour came in wool. I have seen and worked with it in acrylic but never wool. It is really pretty in that color.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by pinnut3200 View Post
I didn't know that pampadour came in wool. I have seen and worked with it in acrylic but never wool. It is really pretty in that color.
I know! I was so surprised when I saw this yarn. I knew it was wool, because the item description said it would be. I had no idea it was wrapped with rayon in a pompadour style until I opened the kit.

And it is definitely wool. I tried a quick hand rub test with water to see if it would felt, and it did! Plus, it has that characteristic wool smell. So, it is wool for sure.

I have found some very interesting yarns in vintage knitting and crochet kits.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote