Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I am a cat owner. I would be very picky about what dogs I let visit my house. My parents current dog is very hyper and likes to bark at their cats as well as at anything that's not "right" to him. That dog wouldn't be welcome. My parents former dog was the most laid back dog you ever saw. If they cleaned up after him, I would have let him visit, but if they wanted overnight they'd better bring his crate.

Visit the dog on his turf first, and then see if you want to invite the dog to the next family get together and under what rules.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
I have cats and dogs and do not take them to others homes. I also would not appreciate anyone bringing their pets to my home. I don't feel that they are children, they are pets and they have their place, Mine at my home and everyone else's at theirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to kellee0302 For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
eladine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to eladine
I gotta say too, that if it were me, I wouldn't like the dogs to come over unless the owners asked first. And I have a dog!

I used to take my guy over to my sisters house, but over the past few months it's just difficult to boot him outside every 5 minutes, and as he's getting on a bit, there tends to be a puddle if you're not ontop of him!

Add to that they fact they just had a new floor laid...
And add to that fact they now have a 1month old and a 3 year old, my attention is not always on the dog!

My sis hasn't said "don't bring him", it's me that's felt that I shouldn't take him.

Anyway, I agree - if you don't feel happy with the new puppy in your house - then your brother should respect that.

He might be upset that you aren't as excited about it as he is... but as others have said - make a point of visiting them when they get the new "arrival".

El.
eladine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eladine For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
i had someone come to visit and she brought her toy poodle with her.. i hate the dog, it's her "baby" (she lets it drink out of her cup while she's still using it, feeds it off her fork and continues to eat, it's GROSS). the dog had an "upset stomach" and crapped on the floor of my carpet, she stuck the dog (crappy butt and all) onto the NEW QUILT i had on my bed (we don't have a guest room so that's where she stayed)... the quilt is still stained, she never offered to replace it. She was a lousy, inconsiderate house guest and her dog stressed out my cats and they ALL were marking like crazy.

Now I just tell people "sorry, I and my 10 year old are allergic to dogs. Please keep them home."

I don't bring my cats with me to visit people, I don't expect them to bring their pets to my home. Just as my home is no longer kid proof now that my kids are older, I expect people to make their kids mind when they're in my home or *I* WILL make their kids mind (my house has plenty of corners for time out)
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by LilHuskiesFootBallMom View Post
she stuck the dog (crappy butt and all) onto the NEW QUILT i had on my bed (we don't have a guest room so that's where she stayed)... the quilt is still stained, she never offered to replace it.
Get some enzyme cleaner stuff from the pet section or a pet store (it's cheaper at a store like Target)-- it works wonders for cleaning up pet stains! While puppysitting we had a few "accidents" and the enzyme stuff cleaned it right up.

Also, on topic-- we have no kids or pets ourselves and would fully expect to be asked permission before someone brought either (pet or kid) over, we have breakable stuff on kid and animal level and it wouldn't be safe to be unprepared. And if the situation were reversed, I would ask and respect the decision of the home owners.

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fireflyknitter For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by LilHuskiesFootBallMom View Post
i had someone come to visit and she brought her toy poodle with her.. i hate the dog, it's her "baby" (she lets it drink out of her cup while she's still using it, feeds it off her fork and continues to eat, it's GROSS). the dog had an "upset stomach" and crapped on the floor of my carpet, she stuck the dog (crappy butt and all) onto the NEW QUILT i had on my bed (we don't have a guest room so that's where she stayed)... the quilt is still stained, she never offered to replace it. She was a lousy, inconsiderate house guest and her dog stressed out my cats and they ALL were marking like crazy.
How rude!

I don't have pets, but if I did, I would ask first before bringing them along.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annomalley For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #17
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I would assume that people would not want me to bring my dog (if I had one) to their home and would never presume to ask. If the person I'm visiting says, hey bring your pooch that would be a different story. People don't get it do they?

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm glad to see you're all so respectful of others. I figured my brother would be too, but was also concerned about not hurting his feelings. The request caught me so off-guard!

He actually called me after I replied to his e-mail and we had a really good talk. He thinks dogs are very social & they would take her out with them often. But he also understands where we're coming from and wasn't offended that we'd want her tied up out back.

LUCY - I hope your plants were able to be replanted and that they will flourish again.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
newamy
Working the Gusset

I have cats. No dogs. I can tolerate dogs only in small doses. Most people I know are aware of this so wouldn't just show up with a dog. I've never had that happen. If it were absolutely necessary to bring a dog along it would have to stay out. But if someone asked I'd have to say politely "no". I have a neighborhood full of dogs and that's enough!

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #20
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom View Post
You know, we don't have kids and our friends who do don't bring the kids over unless they're specifically invited. Our house is sort of a "kid-free" zone for them to come and relax. It's not that they couldn't bring the kids, or that we've told them not to bring them with them every time they come, but they won't force them on us. Just the way that we wouldn't force our dog on them. Mutual respect.
I have a no kid rule, that if you absolutely must bring a kid inside my house you are expected to keep them under physical control at all times. (The exception is my great nieces and my tarantula, my niece won't go near the spider. But the kids are older enough they won't go around drinking cyanide and the dad is a cop so they know to respect guns.)

But just like with bad pet people the bad kid people don't listen. I'm amazed how how little some people seem to care. I come right and and say why they need to keep them in control is because I have guns, broadheads and poisons like cyanide laying around because I have no reason to childproof.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote