Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Julied81
Casting On

Any short row experts out there?
I'm knittng a diaper cover (I've made about five of them) and each time my short rows look okay on ONE side of the cover but look HORRIBLE on the other side. I'm knitting in a round so I'm wondering if I'm not picking up my wrap correctly (as I'm not picking it up from the purl side because there is no purl side. Am I making any sense? I will try to upload a picture...
Julied81 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
of troy
Turning the Heel

about 3 years ago, Vogue knitting had a wonderful tutorial on short knitting.. see if your library has back issues..
Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
nickiea
Casting On

ugh, I am having the exact same issue with finishing off the short rows while in the round. The great video here shows working flat, but since I am not purling when I get back to the 2nd wrapped stitch, I can't figure out how to make it look right. Maybe someone else will be able to detail this out for us. Please??
nickiea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Julied81,

I am a far cry from an expert at short rows, but I have done some in the round that turned out acceptably. I was just wondering what stitch you are using on the diaper cover? If it is stockinette then it would be knit on one side and purl on the other. When you do short rows, even in the round you turn and have to purl back, because you are not really working in the round on the short row portion, but back and forth, knit a row, purl a row. But if it is st st when you do go around and pick all the wraps up you would be doing it all from the knit side, I think.

Maybe you have a different stitch going though, because you said it is not knit on one side and purl on the other. Do you mean you never purl, but is it reverse stockinette on the inside (the purl side of regular stockinette? Or what stitch are you working?

I just did a little mini sample of short rows with W&T 2times on each side and then went on around and picked them all up. By,
Quote:
my short rows look okay on ONE side of the cover but look HORRIBLE on the other side
do you mean something like they look okay on the left side, but not so good on the right side, as opposed to inside and outside of the garment?

I notice that my stockinette stitch in the round sample looks better on the left than the right. That right side of the short row work, on mine, is where I did the W&T on the purl rows, and then when I pick them up I'm doing all knit. I think that is why they don't look as good. Is this the phenomena that you are talking about?

I don't have an answer yet, but I'm trying to understand the problem. Nickiea, is that the same thing you are talking about?
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I've been working on this short row in the round question for over 2 hours now. I have looked at quite a few things I Googled up, but none address this exact issue that I found. A lot of people just say, "Pick them up." But don't say how. Like we all know...LOL

I discovered this page of Nona's Knits where she talks about 3 different ways of doing short rows, one W&T, one with YOs and one called the Japanese method. (She's talking flat though.) I wondered if either of the other 2 ways would work better. I tried the YO method and it may be better for in the round, but I'm getting so tired I'm not sure. LOL I didn't try the Japanese method. Maybe looking at these other methods and doing some experimenting someone will come up something that looks good on the purl side wraps when you have to pick them up on the knit side.

Here is the link. CLICK HERE

Good night. :-)
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
yuyay
Ribbing the Cuff

I use the Japanese short row method thanks to Nonaknits, too. She doesn't explain how to do it in the round but I did a quick search when I needed it and ended up following this one.

It worked really well.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
nickiea
Casting On

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Julied81,
I was just wondering what stitch you are using on the diaper cover? If it is stockinette then it would be knit on one side and purl on the other. When you do short rows, even in the round you turn and have to purl back, because you are not really working in the round on the short row portion, but back and forth, knit a row, purl a row. But if it is st st when you do go around and pick all the wraps up you would be doing it all from the knit side, I think.

I just did a little mini sample of short rows with W&T 2times on each side and then went on around and picked them all up. By, do you mean something like they look okay on the left side, but not so good on the right side, as opposed to inside and outside of the garment?

I notice that my stockinette stitch in the round sample looks better on the left than the right. That right side of the short row work, on mine, is where I did the W&T on the purl rows, and then when I pick them up I'm doing all knit. I think that is why they don't look as good. Is this the phenomena that you are talking about?

I don't have an answer yet, but I'm trying to understand the problem. Nickiea, is that the same thing you are talking about?
yes, that is the problem. B/c it is s/s in the round, we don't end up working in purl to pick up the wrap that was done on the purl side of the short row. We knit to 2nd marker, W&T, purl back to 1st marker W&T knit back to 2nd marker. Pick up wrap is fine for me here per the video on this site. After that, we keep knitting around the front of the garment until we reach the wrap at the 1st marker. THIS is where it gets tricky. It was done while purling in the short row, but now we are knitting, so when I pick up the wrap to knit it and the stitch together, I get a big honkin' hole in the piece.

Looking at the back side of the garment as if wearing it (diaper cover), my right side is fine, it's the left side that is wonky. I need to know (in detail - pics or video would be even better! LOL) how to pick up the wrap at the 1st marker while knitting.

whew! It is so hard to describe this with just words! LOL
nickiea is offline   Reply With Quote