Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #191
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Question for Artlady about ribbing
Artlady you said this about how you break up each piece into section for the band pick up:

Quote:
a) fold the left front in half vertically...place a pin on the fold line...then fold the halves in half again, and place pins on those spots, too. This evenly divides my left front into 4 sections. I'll do the same for the hood, and right front. May even consider folding those 4 in half, too, for 8 sections.
Do you mean you fold it so that the top meets the bottom then fold it again? Kind of like a piece of paper so you have four distinct sections?? Do you have pictures? Thanks for your help!!

I'm stalled at the moment because I didn't block the ribbing at the bottom of the fronts and back - for some reason I thought I read not to but then I re-read the thread and it was not to on the sleeves!! DUH!

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #192
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by robynbird View Post
Artlady you said this about how you break up each piece into section for the band pick up:

*Do you mean you fold it so that the top meets the bottom then fold it again? Kind of like a piece of paper so you have four distinct sections?? Do you have pictures? Thanks for your help!!

I'm stalled at the moment because I didn't block the ribbing at the bottom of the fronts and back - for some reason I thought I read not to but then I re-read the thread and it was not to on the sleeves!! DUH!
*Yes, that's what I do. Then, after I get 4 or 8 distinct sections marked, I will measure inbetween each marker to make sure the spaces/spans are equal. But, alas, no photos.

I think I did block everything on this sweater. Even after I got the buttonbands knit onto the sweater, I heavily misted the bands and left them til bone dry. You'd be surprised what an improvement it gives the overall appearance.

When blocking ribbing, scrunch it together as much as possible.
It will expand on its own when worn.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #193
robynbird
Turning the Heel

I seamed the shoulders and pinned the sides to try on - it fits like a dream!!! YAY! Now I'm going to pick up for the hood.

Thanks for your help Artlady.

Wife to Gene

Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #194
robynbird
Turning the Heel

I'm DONE!!!! I finished last night and all that's left is either the zipper or buttons - I am unsure at this point. The seaming was a bit tricky around the armholes and it's not perfect but it is done and it is my first seamed sweater and it fits!! The arms which I made with a larger size are a bit too big around but I like my arms roomy and it doesn't look funky at all. I'm blocking the button bands now and when it's dry I'll take some photos.

You can view the pictures HERE.

Wife to Gene

Last edited by robynbird : 06-16-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: to add link to pictures
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #195
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by robynbird View Post
I'm DONE!!!! I finished last night and all that's left is either the zipper or buttons - I am unsure at this point. The seaming was a bit tricky around the armholes and it's not perfect but it is done and it is my first seamed sweater and it fits!! The arms which I made with a larger size are a bit too big around but I like my arms roomy and it doesn't look funky at all. I'm blocking the button bands now and when it's dry I'll take some photos.

You can view the pictures HERE.

Yay!!! Congratulations, it looks beautiful!
I love that color on you!

My CPH is still in hibernation as I toil away at the afghan i'm making for a wedding present, but I hope to get it finished by the end of summer.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
robynbird (06-16-2008)
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #196
Crafty_Mel
Ribbing the Cuff

OMG I am feeling very excited yet overwhelmed !!!

I so want to do this sweater but I have never done sweaters, cables, swatching, and can't wrap my head around gauge for the life of me.

You probably wonder what the heck I've been making right well dishcloths and I'm almost done my first pair of socks and I've done a few hats that is it. I'm totally freaking out it all seems so complicated. cans someone please help me.

" If God Brings you to it, He will bring you through it"

Crafty_Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #197
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
I'm off to the yarn shop tomorrow to get my yarn, but I'm stuck on size!
My favorite hoodie measures 38'' in the bust, right in between the 36'' and 40'' sizes given by the pattern. Any suggestions on which size I should do?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #198
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Crafty_Mel View Post
OMG I am feeling very excited yet overwhelmed !!!

I so want to do this sweater but I have never done sweaters, cables, swatching, and can't wrap my head around gauge for the life of me.

You probably wonder what the heck I've been making right well dishcloths and I'm almost done my first pair of socks and I've done a few hats that is it. I'm totally freaking out it all seems so complicated. cans someone please help me.
You know, making this sweater was not any more difficult than making socks. It's just breaking it down and working one section at a time: the back, left front, right front, sleeve 1 and sleeve 2, etc. You can do it - this thread has a wealth of information and I referred back to it often!!

Wife to Gene

Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #199
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
My favorite hoodie measures 38'' in the bust, right in between the 36'' and 40'' sizes given by the pattern. Any suggestions on which size I should do?
It depends on how you want your hoodie to fit: fitted or with a bit of room the 36 will give you 2" negative ease and the 40 will give you 2" positive ease. I know Artlady made hers with a larger needle to get the 'in between' size she needed. Read through the first few posts on this thread and you'll see how she did it. You can do it!

Wife to Gene

Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #200
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
You should knit the 40" for sure! This is a jacket...and you will no doubt be wearing a shirt underneath. You will need room for that! Who wants a tight fitting jacket?!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
shortnsweetly (06-17-2008)