Old 06-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Mosquitoes!!!
Ok, the mosquito situation here has been really bad and they say it's going to get even worse with all the flood waters here. We just put in a deck and I got a new patio set, and I'd really like to enjoy them! Anyone try anything that works great? I'm willing to spend some money if it will make us more comfortable. Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
tokmom
Turning the Heel

I have friends that spray the perimeter at night. Not sure if it works well with armies of mosquitoes, but I notice I don't get bitten.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Hmmm...well, I know that the scent from marigolds repels mosquitoes, so having some of those around may help.

The OFF citronella lights that you put into the metal stand are pretty good too.

Avon has a natural bug repellant that seems to work well for me too.

I get bitten a lot - no one else in the family does...sigh...guess I am lucky that way.

Good luck!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Sajomaro
1st Leg of the Journey

I live about a mile from the river so we've had our share of mosquitoes. My dad is a bird enthusiast so we put up bird houses for swallows. Swallows are great at keeping the bug population down. I don't know a lot about the bird population in Iowa so I don't know if that's a feasible option for you.

I do know that increasing your Vitamin B12 intake will keep the mosquitoes from biting. There is something in the B12 that causes a mild smell (undetectable by humans) that the mosquitoes don't like. I take a B50 complex.
It will makes your urine a bright yellow (think fluorescent) so don't be alarmed the first time you go to the bathroom after you start taking it.
It should also be said that because this only keeps them from biting they do tend to buzz around you so it is probably best to implement some other form of repellent.

My Blog!
Stick-ee Creations

I'm Sajomaro on Ravelry too!
Sajomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I don't have any other solutions to keeping them away, I use the citronella and will spray yard guard about 30 minutes before we want to sit on the deck. If we get bit, we use tea tree oil for the bites. Just a little on a q-tip applied to the bite works great! The sooner you get it on the bite the better it works.
Sewing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by Sajomaro View Post
I do know that increasing your Vitamin B12 intake will keep the mosquitoes from biting. There is something in the B12 that causes a mild smell (undetectable by humans) that the mosquitoes don't like. I take a B50 complex.
It will makes your urine a bright yellow (think fluorescent) so don't be alarmed the first time you go to the bathroom after you start taking it.
It should also be said that because this only keeps them from biting they do tend to buzz around you so it is probably best to implement some other form of repellent.
I work at a Ecology Camp for kids, one thing me and the staff uses is B-1 (thiamine) not B-12
B-12 is the energy enhancer (you can get injections or sub lingual drops)
and I think it is the B-2 that makes your urine yellow

Being a Nurse with Dietician slant to my studies and working int he great outdoors of Maine (BIG mosquitos) makes me a bit of a work in progress. I learn more and more each year

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Sajomaro
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ecb View Post
I work at a Ecology Camp for kids, one thing me and the staff uses is B-1 (thiamine) not B-12
B-12 is the energy enhancer (you can get injections or sub lingual drops)
and I think it is the B-2 that makes your urine yellow

Being a Nurse with Dietician slant to my studies and working int he great outdoors of Maine (BIG mosquitos) makes me a bit of a work in progress. I learn more and more each year

ecb
Hmm, I hadn't heard that. As I mentioned I take a B complex vitamin so that's probably why I don't have a problem.

My Blog!
Stick-ee Creations

I'm Sajomaro on Ravelry too!
Sajomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've read that keeping a Bounty softener sheet hanging out of a pocket helps. I tried it last year and it seemed to work! There weren't tons of mosquitoes around, though. I noticed that the few that were coming over didn't stay, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote