Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

To get Bangs or not?
I had bangs my entire life and then in my 20's I was talking into growing my bangs out and getting rid of them. Now I am bored with my hair and ready for a change. The hubby is not really in favor of my whacking it all off (I've been known to go from long hair to way short hair on a whim) so I was thinking about going back to bangs.
Any thoughts?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
It's your hair, my friend, wear it however you're comfortable. You might try just some wispy light bangs until you decide to cut more to make them heavier.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
gailf
Ribbing the Cuff

Bangs are very stylish right now.
Look in some magazines and see if anything strikes you.
gailf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I had bangs as a child and it wasn't by choice. I had a cute little bob that everyone BUT me liked. I was jealous of the girls with the gorgeous long hair that could be braided etc. When I was a teenager I grew out my bangs and I was so much happier.
Now (and for the past few years) I have side bangs. I like that I can easily pin them back and I don't have to deal with them all them time. They also looks a little more modern than traditional bangs do sometimes.
Do you trust your hairdresser? If you have a trustworthy hairdresser, ask them what they think. They know more about hair and face shape than most people. Also, look online at some hairstyles with bangs that you like. Try to imagine yourself with that hairstyle. Would you be willing to style it like that and spend the time on it?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I have a love/hate relationship with my bangs...they don't come down but rather get combed back feathery like but I'd love to let them grow out. Just can't seem to get past that get-in-your-eyes stage and cut them everytime I get a trim... They are in style and I agree with Knitgal(Hey Annie!!!) in that if you trust your hairdresser, ask about how they'd look with your face.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I just went through the same angst a few months ago. I was letting my bangs grow out over the winter, but then I just needed a change. My hair is to my shoulders and I thought I'd keep them growing out. However, the problem is that not having bangs drags me down. In the summer, especially, I find myself putting my hair in a clip or ponytail all the time because 1) it's hot and 2) I'm hair lazy in the summer. If I don't have bangs these looks give me no style at all and I think I look older. I'm only 38, but every year off I can take makes me feel better. The bangs I have now are on the long side so I can either wear them or push them off to the side or pin them back easily.

Get bangs. You don't have to cut the rest of your hair off to have them and they'll always grow back.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
About 6 weeks ago my hairdresser talked me into full bangs, they are the in thing. I change my hair style, color constantly. I still have the bangs but they can be pushed to the side with no problem. So if you decide on bangs just remember that within 4-6 weeks they can be pushed to the side for a different look. I don't do anything that can't change within 6 weeks, I get bored that easily. Trust your hairdresser I do and I'm always happy with the results.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I am one of those people who likes changes like that. It's only hair. You can grow it back out if you don't like it.

If the hairdresser thinks you'll look okay with bangs, then go for it!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
BobbiKnits
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm kind of in a similar situation right now. I have swoopy bangs now that I love. I had full bangs at one time when I was younger, which was NOT a good look for me (big, poofy, curly hair...it was bad). But now that I straighten my hair more and it's a bit more under control, I think I'd like to try full bangs again. But I'm a wuss, so we'll see what happens the next time I get my hair cut. I'm going to ask my hair dresser what she thinks first, which I think is good advice.
BobbiKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you ladies for all your input - I will call tomorrow and see if I can get an appt. I am off work tomorrow and cross my fingers she can acommodate my mania and get me in...if not it will have to wait until after vacation - maybe by then I will have lost the urge to cut it all off again. I told the hubby we were going to compromise and I was going to get it trimmed and try bangs again and he said "I was prepared to come home to you bald after the day you had." (this is in another post, but found out today our older dog has an aggressive for of cancer and I have some oddball lung inflammation that is making me cough until I puke so my back is in spasm and I had to get steroid and antibiotic shots today)
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote