Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Yikes! My silk is sttrreettching!
I've got 10 balls of Berger du Nord Belle, which is 100% unplied silk. I do know that it has a tendency to stretch from reading discussions about this on Ravelry. So I knew it was important to wash my swatch before starting my project.

I plan to knit the Simple Knitted Bodice. The pattern was written for Tillie Thomas Pure and Simple, which is also 100% unplied silk, and "takes the stretch of silk into account" (their words).

I swatched on US Size 7 needles and my gauge was dead on. I washed the swatch with baby shampoo and handled it with great care, but it stretched so much I'm going to have to try again with smaller needles.

But it's not just the stretching that bothers me; the yarn has gone completely limp and lifeless. Was the baby shampoo too harsh? Or maybe it's just because the gauge has changed?

I'm hoping to start knitting the sweater in nine days (it's for the Tour de France KAL on Ravelry) so hopefully I can sort this all out by then. Any advice, please?

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

Last edited by cristina61 : 06-26-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Add link
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!