Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
KAcopan
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to KAcopan
red heart on sale... should i stock up??
well, the title pretty much says it all...

the first week of july the local craft store has all their red heart yarn on sale (plus i'm a scrapbook instructor there so i get an addt'l 20% off the sale price)... so i'm looking at about $1.67 (after tax) per skein...

i am a newb at knitting and plan on doing some toys and scarves and eventually get to socks and maybe even a nice pullover...
ETA: i know red heart isn't really considered "good stuff" but i was thinking it would be okay for toys... or for felting...

just wondering if it's worth it to stock up now when it's on sale, and if so, 1 or 2 skeins???

what's the "life" on yarn anyway???

TIA

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

If I'm not mistaken, the only yarn in the Red Heart line with any wool in it is Heart & Sole-- and only yarns with a great deal, if not all, wool, will felt. But as for all other knitting-- Red Heart has some very nice, soft yarns for making everything else you can think of.

The "life" of acrylic yarn is pretty much eternity (although mind you, I haven't actually tested this theory out:-)). The only thing which will kill it is if it's in a damp place and develops mold and mildew, or if it's stored in such a manner that the skeins rub against each other, which will create pilling and fluffing.

As for amounts-- a 3 oz skein of worsted weight will make you a pair of mittens or a hat, or probably a good deal of small toy patterns, and 2 of those skeins will get you a scarf. For an adult sweater you will need several skeins-- the way to tell is to look at the type of yarn (there is a weight number within a drawing of a skein where the info is on the label, from 0 - 6). Then you need to match that up to the pattern you want to use and look at the required ounces or yardage. Let's say the pattern is for a yarn "4", which is worsted weight, by the way, and a lot of the Red Heart yarn falls into this category. It tells you you need 28 ounces for the item. You need to find a yarn which is a "4". Let's say that yarn comes in 3 oz skeins. You need to buy 10 to make that sweater. Now, let's say you're looking at a pattern which just gives the name of a specific yarn, but no number. Look up the yarn on line and somewhere you'll find out its weight number.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

Red Heart
Red Heart has a yarn called Red Heart Soft Yarn. It is reallllly soft. I would buy it in a heart beat. I made a hat and scarf for my son's best friend for xmas and he really loves how soft it feels. Softness is the key factor when I buy yarn. Go with your tastes and do what you think is best!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mathwizard For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Mike
Working the Gusset

Acrylic probably won't do anything like felting. (Some will do something like it but I haven't seen anything like that from Red Heart.)

I would grab it. That's what I crochet afghans out of. It was good enough for Gram (and what I was raised with from her afghans) so it's good enough for me.
It softens up fine after a few washings.

1 or 2 skeins isn't stocking up, that would be a scarf. I would need 20-40 skeins for one crochet afghan.
I think it took 5 skeins of Red Heart Sport to knit a baby sweater.

You have to think SALE and buy more than you will ever realistically use, like the bags and bags of Yarn Bee Luscious I have that I'm sick of working with or the boxes of the same my sister has.

Acrylic stored in a skein should last forever. Keep it out of the sun and dust so the color doesn't change, or if it does it does it evenly.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Nothing wrong with stocking up or stock piling! I have also heard that regular red heart softens in the wash. You can make lots of stuff with acrilyc. At that rate, knitting an afghan would only cost about 20$. Nothing wrong with that!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mulderknitter For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
bethany
Turning the Heel

and there are the charity threads here that need acrylic yarns for projects if you'd ever want to join in on those. Different weights for different projects, check the charity boards!
/end enabling

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
My husband would fall over laughing at the idea of 1-2 skeins being stocking up! The other day I was saying we needed to do something w/ our gas & grocery budget, because we have added a family member since we did it and prices are way up and he said, "Why don't you sell some of this yarn!?" BLASPHEMY!
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

SBG, that sounds like my DH!! hehehe~WHAT are they THINKING?? LOL!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sell your stash??? How dare he! I'd have to be starving..... perhaps you should trade him in, see how much you can get for him!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
When I was a new knitter I bought a skein of Red Heart Super Saver because it was cheap. I did learn on it, but I didn't like it. It's kind of rough on the hands and while it does soften up 'some' in the wash it never gets super soft. Personally, I would never use it for anything again. There are just too many nice ones that are almost as good a price so why buy scratchy?

Red Heart DOES make some nice yarns now though that are soooo soft! I would go for those!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
KAcopan (07-01-2008)