Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #211
jcurry28
Ribbing the Cuff

I have this pattern for the Central Park Hoodie and I plan on knitting this soon I'm just trying to find the right yarn that I just can't live without. So I'm hoping this will still be alive when I decide to knit it.
jcurry28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 AM   #212
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
We'll be here for 'ya! If you wait several months, be sure to send me a PM and alert me that you are ready to begin!

Hugs,

Artlady

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #213
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I just read through & love all the tips & photos to all! I bought the pattern & some casscade 220 heathers yesterday b/c the tweed seened a bit scratchy to me, though I love the look of it. I'm 20 rows into my DS's vest (he's 4) & hope to finish that soon so I can start on my CPH. One question, I've seen on ravelry that some are knitting their back & fronts in one piece to the armhole decreases, any comments on this? I'm petrified of seaming, b/c the first thing I seamed was a seed st baby jacket, not my best job, but also the first, second was my mom's vest, turned out better, but still not to the degree I'd like it to have been. Also I used patons sws to make it and seem it, love the idea of using the cotton thread! I'll be sure to post when I'm ready to start, I'll be making the size 36".
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #214
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
....One question, I've seen on ravelry that some are knitting their back & fronts in one piece to the armhole decreases, any comments on this?.....
Seaming is easy if you use the mattress stitch. Amy has a video here at KH under TIPS. Just scroll down. I really really really suggest that you use this CPH as a learning experience! No one should be afraid of seaming!

It is possible to knit it all in one piece to the armhole decreases...however, this will change the sizing a bit because you are not losing the 4 edge stitches that would fold into the seamline and appear on the wrong side. Knitting all in one piece will also make seaming the sleeves into the body a bit harder, because you will have to seam the shoulder seams first...then the sleeve will have to seam into the HOLE created.

Some knitters have taken the seamless thing ever farther by knitting their sleeves in the round. Now, the insertion of the sleeve TUBE into the armHOLE is even crazier!

I highly suggest that you follow the pattern directions. Bite the bullet, the saying goes...and learn to mattress stitch your seams. Please watch Amy's video. It is so way easy. I also include seaming photos in our KAL.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (06-30-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #215
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Thank you, I've seen all your photos, read through the entire thread & checked out yours on ravelry. I will watch Amy's video before I thread my needle.
Hope you had a fantastic trip! Sure enjoyed the pics from your last one & the kitchen remodle, darn fires.
Thanks so much again & I'll let you know when I co & my progress.
I'm closer to being done w/DS's vest, I'm starting to get giddy about this project!
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #216
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I can hardly wait to see your progress! Will help any way I can!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #217
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Jberry - i was nervous about seaming but the video really helped and once you got into a rhythm it was simple! You can do!

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robynbird For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #218
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
Welcome back from your vacation Artlady! I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing time. I have successfully completed the entire back piece of my very first sweater! Yahoo!! I am noticing one small imperfection though. When I switch from knit to pearl in the pattern, I'm noticing a larger gap than I see other knitters get. Their switch from knit to pearl seams to be seamless with little to no gap. My switch from knit to pearl looks sloppy and if I hold the sweater up to the light, I can see very noticable gaps. I don't think it will be noticable once it is all put together, but I would like to make the transition from knit to pearl a little neater. Any suggestions?
ArtLady1981 (07-01-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #219
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
Welcome back from your vacation Artlady! I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing time. I have successfully completed the entire back piece of my very first sweater! Yahoo!! I am noticing one small imperfection though. When I switch from knit to pearl in the pattern, I'm noticing a larger gap than I see other knitters get. Their switch from knit to pearl seams to be seamless with little to no gap. My switch from knit to pearl looks sloppy and if I hold the sweater up to the light, I can see very noticable gaps. I don't think it will be noticable once it is all put together, but I would like to make the transition from knit to pearl a little neater. Any suggestions?
This happens to some knitters who knit the purl stitches looser, or vice versa. I read it in a book over the weekend, in a HOW TO DESIGN YOUR OWN SWEATER, a book of basic sweater building stuff. The writer said she uses a different size needle for the purl side...then switches back to the original needle for the knit side.
Ach. She must have a HUGE discrepancy on her stitch consistency! But I can understand the concept! I might try it sometime! I have an especial hard time when using single ply yarns with st st. It drives my batty! But I heard that single ply yarns, by their nature, tend to be wonky on one side of the knit stitch. Maybe because of what the writer said about knitting looser on the purl side (or vice versa).

Anyhoo, mystery solved! I seem to do the same thing as you. I always end up "tweaking" the stocking stitches on the public side, to straighten them out as I knit along. So get to "tweaking"! You are in good company! Sometimes I have pulled out an entire row and re-knit it if the gaps can't be "tweaked" right. Such as, if there are too many stitches that need adjusting...there is just too much excess yarn to pull over to the neighboring stitches...and you end up with 2 inches of extra yarn!
Time to pull out a couple rows and tighten things up. It's worth it in the end.

When you wash, rinse, and block your sweater pieces BEFORE SEAMING, this will take care of a lot of your minor stitch inconsistencies.
When you handwash, rinse and block your pieces, the yarn "blooms"...or fulls...and this also fills in the holes!

What kind of yarn did you say you are using?

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #220
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with inconsistent knits and pearls. I'm using the yarn the pattern calls for, Tahki Donegal Tweed. You mentioned the single ply yarns can give you a bit more trouble, which is exactly what I think is happening. The gaps are small enough that it should close up after blocking like you said. Which leads me to my next questions....blocking! I have never blocked anything before, and I've never even owned anything made of 100% wool before. I know it needs to be hand washed, but what do you use for soap? The detergents at home seem too harsh. And I always see blocking boards on knitter's websites. Do I need one of those to block my sweater? What's involved in blocking? Any tips for a beginner? I understand that's quite the complex question, and I really appreciate all your help and patience with this project. Thanks!