I was really hoping that you would say that the doc got all the margins with the biopsy. I'm really sorry to hear about it.
I hope that the surgery alone will be all that is necessary but I bet they will want to do an adjunct therapy as well. I suppose you will have to await the biopsy results and consults until a plan is formulated for sure. I wouldn't tell mom yet, either.
I don't know how you could have found it any faster if you just found it with shaving your head.
You will be in my prayers and PLEASE keep us updated, friend.