Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #4591
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Christoper, Christopher, Christopher, that was NOT a book, that was your prescription for my DH..... and he says he likes the way your mind works, and he says he wants that prescription filled NOW!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #4592
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
Enjoys !!

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #4593
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
Whew... was there a holiday???? Hardly seems like any break at all.

I'm almost done with the cuffs on my Coquette socks. I have a question: the socks are 66 stitches, and the book says to use 1/2 of them to do the heel--or 33 stitches.... should I do anything special because of it being an odd number? (It uses the *slip, k1* heel.)

In other interesting news, I've succeeded in corrupting other members of my family. We're throwing a shower in a couple weeks for friends who are expecting their first baby in September. Since they're both big Star Wars fans, I'm going to try to do a more baby sized version of the R2D2 hat. Well, my daughter decided she wanted to knit something too. She sort of knew how to do a Knit but never did anything more than a couple rows toward a "scarf". I told her her best bet given time constraints was a washcloth, but she would have to learn how to Purl and practice a little bit and really buckle down to finish in time. I picked this out for her and had her start practicing seed stitch with some acrylic yarn. When she got the hang of it--which didn't take long--I turned her loose with the Sugar & Cream she picked out. She's now up through row 7 and is doing a great job.

Also, after seeing my "2 At A Time Socks" book while we were on vacation, my mom is starting on socks. She downloaded a free 2 at a time toe-up pattern from Knit Picks and was asking me what kind of needles and yarn I got. We'll see how it goes!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #4594
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Howdy ya'll!!!!!
Hey Dustina, nice to see ya back hun!!!

Julie, ya'll wrote a couple pages back bout how ya hate gussets? Girl, we should start the anti-gusset societe, you could be prezzie n I'll be sarge at arms!!

Knitterb, welcome to the club, this is a great little family we got here, so jump on in. The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked. As for the "how to get started thing" Just grab some yarn n some needles cast on n away we go!!

QOTD: hmmm, here in our house, we love, love, love, Jambalaya, (yummmmmmm) then it's good ol' steaks on the grill!! (even in January) LOL

Well, I bought a drop spindle n have been making attempts at spinning some wool into some semblence of yarn (mostly now it looks like snakes that have eaten a golfball). I'm getting a bit better with my consistency n I'm getting a good worsted/bulky weight single. Gonna have my preggers dd over to help me dye it with koolaid one of these days. I'm still working on getting a nice skinny single so I can make me own sock yarn but ya know more practice is definitely needed for that. Yep, yep, yep!!

Well, last week we had a really really really weird storm blow (yeah like knock trees over blow) throught town n most of downtown was flooded for a few hours. They still can't decide if it was a tornado or a micro-burst. Either way, it still blew a lot of stuff around. Lot's of the farmers lost their corn n wheat because of the beating it took. (Look for grocery prices to spike sometime later this year because of all the rain n flood damage to the crops). It was raining so hard ya'll couldn't see the end of your fender (about 3 feet). The trees were all bending sideways n we had one fall on the power lines n snap em during the storm. So didn't have any power til bout 6 the next morning (Thursday). But all's well that end's well. Luckily, no one in town got hurt. They did have to evacuate the hospital though because water was coming into the facility.

( I know, I know, tryin to catch up on all the stuff cause I haven't posted in a while, sheesh)

Well, we did have a wonderful fourth. Went down to watch the parade on the bikes n bout halfway through other local bikers had entered into the parade n they all called us in n we got to ride the rest of the parade with our bikes, revving the engines n making those pipes dang loud. THAT, was a blast!!!
Then we went to a fourth of July party n they had loads of games for bikes like the "slow race" n riding a rail, n the hot dog eating contest (I didn't have a passenger for that one but watching the others was fun!!) Watched the fireworks from work (had to make those darn donuts again, sheesh). If yer askin, Nope, I didn't sleep all day. Hubby was off so we went n rode together all day. We had a blast!!! It was great to see other bikes that the guy whose house we went to had built. The man is an artist.
His wife said call her so we could go riding. Said that would be a good idea, that we could go to Sterling n go to the coffee house n to the LYS across the street. She thought that was a wonderful idea, hmmmm does this mean I ain't the only knitten biker in town?

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
The Following User Says Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 AM   #4595
Karina
Working the Gusset

Steve well done for corrupting the family. I love the sock your are working on.

OMG Tami sounds scary, glad you are all OK. Sounds like you had a blast on the 4th.

Julie the CPH looks great, So jealous of your view, looks beautiful. Your kids are not very successful in looking angry, but so cute. Katie is beautiful.
The recipe looks very yummy, have never seen frozen chillies can you use fresh. would you use less?

knitterb welcome. ask away, we will all try to help you as best as we can.

I have started the CPH the Viking version and here is a photo of my progress

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPH Ribbing.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	49038
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #4596
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Hi all,

Steve, the socks you're knitting look great

Karina, your CPH-in-progress looks great. I really love the color. Cabling is fun!

Today's my day of, and the first day since I moved that I don't have my day fully planned with all kinds of things I have to do. You'd think I'd go and knit now, but no, I don't feel like it. I did feel like updating my blog and...making pictures. So here they are, the pictures of my FO and WIP.

The easy stockinette stitch socks I talked about before I moved:

The celtic cable heel socks from Sockamania:

The Following User Says Thank You to Lieke For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #4597
Karina
Working the Gusset

Lieke - that is a great looking pair of socks. love the toe was it easy to do?

Your sockamania sock is a very happy sock, love the colours. Are you doing the full length or stopping after the cable is done?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #4598
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Lieke - that is a great looking pair of socks. love the toe was it easy to do?

Your sockamania sock is a very happy sock, love the colours. Are you doing the full length or stopping after the cable is done?
The toe wasn't hard at all. (for the right sock) You just put 1/3 of your sts on a scrap of yarn, and start knitting 2/3 of the stitches. To close the gap, you'll have to cast on 2 or 3 stitches. Just work the toe as you usually do, only difference is you only decrease at the right site. Graft where you'd usually graft. When done, take the 1/3 of the stitches from the scrap yarn, to close the gap and to join it with the other toe, pick up stitches from the stitches you just casted on. Knit for a few ronds (in my sock, 15), then decrease, like you'd do for a round toe. I did a decrease row (which is 4 decreases, one on each needle), a knit row, a decrease row, a knit row and then decrease rows untill I had 4 stitches left. Then I just pulled the yarn trough the stitches and I was done (exept for weaving in of course).

The sockamania sock will be the short version. Otherwise I'll never be done before the end of the month.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lieke For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #4599
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Steve, Lieke, what kind of yarn are you socks made with. I like both colorways.
Right now I am using a thicker yarn for this attempt.
The CPH looks great, that knitting blows me away.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mare-nitt For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-09-2008), Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #4600
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

Julie~They are soo cute and love the CPH

BobbieKnits~aww he might be shy about asking or setting something up really special for ya...hang in there

Knitterb~I agree Silver's tutorial is the best place to start ...Welcome to the KAL

Chris~ yeah that is true, I think ...although usually the book is better...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn movie thankfully left out the disturbing scenes which is why I like the movie better

Jackie~Whatcha working on now? It's been muggy here but prolly nothing like there

Steve~That is great that she is knitting!! The sock looks great...as for your question I don't like when sock heels work out like that and I'm not sure if I handle it right...but I usually have to knits together on that one end...'cause on the next row you will have to sl 1 and then purl across...another reason I like short row heels better

Tami~Girl you have been busy as a bee...I hate to hear about the damage from the storm ...YAY for spinning and the 4th fun

Karina~Very pretty

Lieke~The socks look great!! I haven't decided if I want to make the July socks...I need to finish the other socks first

Hi everyone!!

Ok so I was reading on Ravelry last night and thought this question was interesting...so thought I'd ask it for the QOTD

QOTD: When you are gone (pass away, kick the ol' bucket, ya know) do you have it in your will who gets your yarn stash/needles/stuff?

I asked JD this last night after reading through their answers...and he said he would give it to mom and she could find the best place for everything...

I didn't get to cut the grass yesterday, we had some bad storms roll in and the lightening was horrible!! This morning we are still having rain...

Isaiah loved wrestling camp (finally found one) so I think next year he will do it...baseball he liked but found it boring...basketball he hated and prolly be a long time before he does that sport

Roo had a blast at dance camp and is already to go back this morning too...of course that means 2 hrs of knitting for me while I wait outside the classroom

I hope you all have a great day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
BobbiKnits (07-10-2008), fibrenut (07-09-2008), jberry16 (07-09-2008), Karina (07-09-2008), Lieke (07-09-2008), SteveDallas (07-09-2008)
Closed Thread