Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
I'm all knitting on the blankets and i do borders too aren't I talented.

Secksiebrat giving the blankets to HAIN sound like a great idea. I was going to call the 2 hospitals here in town and see if they take blankets or any other items.

does HAIN do just blankets? or can it be other items?
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinMitchie For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (07-15-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Hey y'all! I'm finally back in town after one of my many upcoming trips! It sure is nice to be HOME!

I love the idea of giving the blankets to HAIN - wonderful idea!
Danielle - Can you send me the info that you have?

I agree that we need more knitters - otherwise we may not be able to make as many blankets as I would like. I am trying to recruit one of my knitting friends here in my area. She is out of town and will probably join us later. We do have one other knitter that is a very close friend of mine from college. She lives in Atlanta, so she's out of our region, but wanted to be in my group. I figured we could use the extra knitting hands!

Okay, off to organize this project more so. Thank you so much for volunteering - I'm so excited!!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (07-15-2008)
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I know that both the Dallas Children's Hospital and the Scottish Rite Hospital both take donated items.

I'll ask the ladies in my lys knit group if they would be interested in helping us with our blankets.

I'll let y'all know.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
jjminarcik (07-16-2008)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
I'll look over the spreadsheet and see what hospitals in the
Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas are collecting blankets.

Some hospitals take other items as well. They usually specify what they are looking/needing for. I'll get that info as soon as the website is back up They are moving to a new host!

We can pick a couple to donate to and maybe others will want to donate other items (usually they are hats or small gloves that they also want/need).

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Secksiebrat For This Useful Post:
jjminarcik (07-16-2008)
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Go Southwest! I'm sure you'll get more knitters signed up when the blankets get started. There's something about seeing those photos of blankets in progress that lights a fire in the soul of knitters.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
lucky_alf2
1st Leg of the Journey

So how many of us are there now? HAIN sounds good, but I also like the idea of giving to my local hospitals too -- maybe we can spread the wealth based on where our knitters are.....

Another thought would be to post an invite to the SW threads in the "Knitters Near You" Forum -- might get a few bites.....

I'm excited about this and honestly a little relieved....the postage always made me feel a little guilty -- that when it was all added up the cost of these various blankets was quite high per blanket and maybe that money would be better spent elsewhere directly helping a charity, despite the fact I like making them....

Adri

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
-- Pat Conroy

2008 FOs: Elegant Baby Blanket, Ripple Baby Blanket, 4 Charity Squares, 2 Oddball Premie Blankets
OTN: Another Charity Square
Next: cute teddy bear
Stash: Needs a recount
lucky_alf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #17
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
i try to mail the blankets the cheapest way possible. I put them in envelopes which save a good bit on postage.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Hey fellow knitters/crocheters!

We now have a blog for our region! Check it out here. I will be posting on the blog often as things develop. It is easy to communicate there with comments, etc. I can add you all on as authors to the blog. If you want to be added, please pm me your email address.

Here are the knitters that have signed up with me so far:

jjminarcik (me)
Secksiebrat
Robinknits
Knittinmitchie
cdjack
lucky_alf2
stirlinggirl (Ravelry)

If your name is not on this list and you would like to join our group, please PM me.

Our next job - let's start a blanket! I can start it and have it in the mail to the first knitter by August 1. Any suggestions to a theme/color scheme?

Also, since our region is large in size and small in knitters, we may be a little slower in completing as many blankets. We could always have 2 blankets going at once and reverse the order that they go in.

Someone mentioned the idea of donating blankets in each of our own areas. I like that idea - we can take turns donating in our areas.

Please, please let me know ideas. I'm super easy to work with and definitely could not do this without all of you!

Thank you all for participating and I look forward to working with you!

Oh, and do any of you know how to create buttons for our signatures?

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

Last edited by jjminarcik : 07-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.
jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
KnittinMitchie (07-19-2008), lucky_alf2 (07-19-2008), Secksiebrat (07-18-2008), Shandeh (07-18-2008)
Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
lucky_alf2
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi! Thanks for all the hard work JJ! I like the idea of having 2 blankets going at once, maybe even consider having co-located people knit in order -- it might be fun to hand off personally even -- put a face to a name/id

I've never done a button but am fairly computer savvy and think I could do it. I'll take a stab at it this weekend.

What size blankets are we going to do? Or are we going to vary the size depending on what we feel like?

As for colors -- if we have 2 going -- maybe have one be traditional baby colors (boy/girl/gender neutral) and the other be related to an upcoming holiday (Halloween, Fall, Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter White, etc) or some other special theme (fruit loops, greens, seed stitch, etc). Maybe the one who starts the blanket can decide the theme and then have us all take turns starting. Just some ideas.

Lastly, I finished and edged a premie blanket in May and when I was done I found that I was compelled to start a new blanket on the empty needles -- they just kept talking to me, saying how sad and empty they were.....anyways, maybe think about having the last person on the list start the next blanket while they have the needles with them.

Oh, speaking of needles, I recently got KP Options so I have some Boyce's I'd be happy to donate to the cause if they are the right size......

Smiles -- Adri

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
-- Pat Conroy

2008 FOs: Elegant Baby Blanket, Ripple Baby Blanket, 4 Charity Squares, 2 Oddball Premie Blankets
OTN: Another Charity Square
Next: cute teddy bear
Stash: Needs a recount
lucky_alf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky_alf2 For This Useful Post:
jjminarcik (07-19-2008)
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #20
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cdjack View Post
I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I know that both the Dallas Children's Hospital and the Scottish Rite Hospital both take donated items.

I'll ask the ladies in my lys knit group if they would be interested in helping us with our blankets.

I'll let y'all know.
You're in my neck of the woods...how and where did you find a LYS with a knitting group? What's the name of the store? I'd like to see if it's close to me. I'm in Saginaw
sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote