Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Can this be fixed?
My glider chair broke yesterday, and I'm not sure if it can be fixed, or if I should start saving for a new one. It has a wood frame, and where it broke is (I'll see if I can explain this properly) the straight piece of wood that goes from the upper support under the chair seat to the foot. It has a notch that sits on the foot (which runs from the front to back of the chair) and 4 screws. The screws pulled out and damaged the wood.

This is my knitting chair, and the table is on the side that broke. So whenever I lean over to set down or pick up my knitting, I lean on that side. When I reach for the phone, I lean on that side. My coffee (or water or juice) is on the table, so I lean on that side to get it. You get the idea...I'm always leaning on that side. It finally said 'Enough' I guess.

So, would getting slightly longer screws help? Or maybe make new holes slightly off to the side (or above or below)? I'm kind of thinking the wood is compromised now, but maybe until I can get a new one?

My DD played with my camera cord and now I can't find it, but when she gets back tomorrow, I'll try and get a pic if it will help.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience

Last edited by Knit4Pie : 07-16-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Mistake made it confusing
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Mike
Working the Gusset

If the only thing that's wrong is that wood screws stripped out. stuff the holes with some toothpicks and woodglue if it's what I'm thinking (like when the wind rips my storm door out). If you get the right glue it could end up stronger than it was.
It depends on how bad it tore it up coming out for whether I'd screw it together wet and clamp it until dried or totally fill the holes and redrill.

Longer screws wouldn't hurt.

You could also have the piece remade.

A picture will result in better answers.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

From what I can see (would have to unscrew the top part of that piece and haven't done that yet) the screws stripped out. I haven't seen any big splitting of the wood, but that could be hidden underneath. When I find the camera cord, then I'll go ahead and unscrew the piece and take a pic.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
If it's wood, you could have a new wooden brace made for it. What about the wood fillers? Could you use that and then make a new hole for the screws? If it is a brace and not something that makes it glide, it seems to me that you could make new screw holes in a different place if it will reach the bottom. Good luck!
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

My dad will be giving me a recliner, so at least there's that. I'm still going to try to get this one fixed, but it won't be too much in use. I can wait until this heat dies down at least!

Thanks for the suggestions!