Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
colorwork help
i am working on a colorwork sock, the one on the cover of this book here: http://www.rustlingleafpress.com/
i am having several problems... the fit is one of them, but it mostly fits me, but i think resolving the more pressing problem will resolve that too...
it's a toe-up sock and i have completed the foot. that green pattern on the instep stitches, it just doesn't look like that on mine. i mean, the sts are in the right place, but the green sts are really obscured and very small and the fabic almost resembles ribbing... how do i fix this? i am using the two-handed technique from the Philosopher's Wool video, and weaving either every other or every 2 sts depending on the row... what do i do?

thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
ohh that's a pretty sock

I think you may be doing the sts to tight...usually in colorwork I want the sts loose enough to where it really looks to loose. Once you block the sock and work more on the sock it tends to pull the sts in even more...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (07-21-2008)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I am not an expert at this sort of thing, but I was wondering if your problem of the green stitches looking obscured could be something to do with yarn dominance. There is a lot about "yarn dominance" if you do a search about it. It has to do with one color seeming to dominate over the other in color work, and it is not because of the colors themselves, but which color you hold in which hand. Check it out if you haven't heard about this before and it could be an issue.

I have never done color work with a lot of weaving. I follow more the EZ school of colorwork and just carry it across the back unless it is over 5 stitches. :-)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I knew there was a reason that I do color work in one hand....

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I hadn't thought of that...I do carry my MC in my left hand and the CC in the right hand ...

I have found that my tension works best when I catch/weave every 3rd st as well

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
i had considered the color dominance thing, but the fabric is clearly altered... it's in stockinette, but it almost has the appearance of ribbing, where the green stitches are the smaller and obscured valleys of the rib...

how do i do it looser is my big question, i guess.... i guess i could try doing the MC with my right and the CC in my left instead??? i don't know how to do one-hand colorwork! meh! would that help me?

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I don't understand why your stitches would look so altered. That wouldn't be the yarn dominance thing.

How to do it looser? You could use a bigger needle. But if your gauge is right that isn't a good idea.

Maybe you are knitting tighter with that one hand than the other, the one holding the green yarn.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Do you knit continental or English? I could try to do a video of how I do it this weekend. I don't know if that will help or not.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote