Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Limey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I think I'm more than an honorary one... a couple of multi great grandparents came to the US from England almost 400 years ago. So there's a little bit of it flowing in my veins....
Hi Suzeeq

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's not a day goes by that you don't learn something new on this Forum ...

I had absolutely no idea that the Mayflower had docked in Wyoming - amazing.

HI Ginny

Could you tell me please what kind of sweater you've got in mind - adult or child - maybe I could have a look over here - that's an awful price to pay for a pattern!

Ellie
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Ellie,
if you check the link I posted you'll see these are all Raglan pullover with dozens of WONDERFUL patterns. I'm looking for an adult either pullowver or Cardi. I want a Raglan pattern because I think the sleeves look so much nicer raglan rather than set.

These patterns don't have graphs (my preferred method of cable knitting). I'm just learning to translate written to graph but it is very labor intensive. Also considering buying the program that makes graphs.......
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Ginny

There's a link here to some Sirdar Aran patterns - if you scroll down a bit, you'll find a bloke wearing a grey sweater.

http://www.ethknits.co.uk/Sirdar/Pat...ATTERNS-13.htm

There's also a main pattern page at the bottom. Meantime, I'll have a Google and see if I can come up with some Aran chart patterns.

Ellie
The Following User Says Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (07-24-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Just found some interesting used books on AMAZON and ordered 3 (for less than the one pattern would have cost).
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

I might be all wrong on this but I think Aran yarn is spun with the natural oils (lanolin?) left in the wool. That is why it is sometimes called fishermen's knit-because it resists water.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I don't know about the oil, it makes sense, but I have read a different reason for them being called "Fisherman" knits. Each family or "clan" had it's own specific pattern that was handed down for generations and only worn by that family. The fisherman wore the warm wool sweaters out on the boats and because the patterns were individual to each family, if the ship sank and the fisherman were washed up on the beach he could be identified by the sweater he wore.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I had absolutely no idea that the Mayflower had docked in Wyoming - amazing.
I come from a long line of nomads or else we'd still be in England.....

Actually, my greatwhatevergrandma's parents did come over on the Mayflower, don't know if she was born here or came with them. The great...grandpa was mentioned in the 1620 census for Jamestown. I think they were married after that; her family left Plymouth colony and went south.

Later descendants migrated to the Carolinas, Arkansas, then to Missouri where my mom and her parents were born. Then they all moved to Idaho where I grew up after being born in Oregon. I've lived in several states myself. A lot of us are wanderers, I tell you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hiya Ellie and Ginny

Yeah - I've heard that as well about the oil and each family having an individual pattern of their own - maybe that's why there's so many of them to choose from, Ginny. Glad you've found something a little more reasonably priced.

It's becoming a really interesting thread this - I'd love to find out how they process some of the Aran wool so that it doesn't lose all the natural oil.

Wow! - that's some pedigree you've got there, Suzeeq. Your forebears weren't exactly put off by travelling, and they certainly must have been made from stern stuff to face and survive that Atlantic crossing in those conditions.

Have you ever been to the Plymouth Plantation? We went a good few years back now and it was very impressive how much trouble everyone had gone to to keep things as authentic as possible.

You couldn't get a flicker from the Captain's Wife or the rest of the crew - not a smidgen of a hint that they really were living in the 20th Century. I wondered if they had to be packed off somewhere for treatment at the end of the season.

You could have come off that ship believing you'd fallen into a time warp.

Anyway, Good Luck with the pattern hunt, Ginny and I'll see what I can come up with here.

Best Wishes

Ellie
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No I've never made it to the eastern edge of the US, though would like to sometime. Yep, the Masschusetts/Connecticut area as well as Jamestown would be on my list to visit.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
maggie_g
Casting On

Thank you all for your answers and for the fun conversation! I leave tomorrow night and will spend some time between now and then checking out the links.
And thank you Ellie for the amazing cardi photo!

Maryann
maggie_g is offline   Reply With Quote