Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
davespurl
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Knittybug! I hope you don't go too crazy being homebound and all. Its turning out to be a great summer here (finally) and there is so much fun stuff to do! Thank goodness you've taken up knitting. I think its such a fun hobby and this forum is a good place to have questions answered and to find fellow knitting friends. I hope you enjoy it and I would love to hit that knitting shop in Kent as I haven't been there before!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
Raeknitsnwa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raeknitsnwa
I am always around to talk I have yahoo messenger & msn lol..
~~You Must Be The Change You Want To See In The World -Ghandi~~

Raeknitsnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Invitation to Join a West Coast Project
Hello Washington Knitters!

I am spearheading the West Coast Oddball Baby Blanket project over in the Charity forum.

Please take a stroll over there and see if it's anything you would be interested in joining.

Don't worry if you're not into big commitments. This is the project for you!

The way it works is that each knitter knits 4" of a baby blanket, usually 90-100 stitches, using worsted or dk (depending on the blanket) weight, acrylic yarn. You can choose the pattern of your choice, keeping within the three stitch garter edging. Then, when you're done, you send the blanket to the next knitter, leaving the stitches on the needles. Everything travels together.

Each blanket takes about six knitters. You get two weeks to complete your portion. I've found it takes me only one evening...sometimes two.

If you'd like to join us, you can either send me a PM, or you can post a note in THIS thread. I'll watch for it, send you a request for more information, and then we're set to go.

Come join a worthwhile endeavor. You'll be blessed beyond your wildest imagination.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
davespurl
Ribbing the Cuff

This sounds like fun and I'd like to participate. Can you tell me what the dimensions of the blanket are?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
GramiH
Casting On

Hello Everyone:
I am in Washington state, Longview area. I am new at posting here. So I'm not sure that I am doing this right.
I have to date finished 3 (2 in Sassy Stripes w/free patt(1 pr. in Gentlemen Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush Book) pairs of socks for DH and 5 (Moc Croc Patt) other pair's for family members. I knitted a hat for a friend in the round with DPN's and 2 Christmas Stocking for G.D.'s last Christmas, also 2 needle slipper's from a patt found on the web for son and family. I just yesterday finished the last pr. of Moc Croc Sock's for my Aunt.
I have tried to make sweater's and dog sweater's, but had gotten frustrated. So needless to say I gave that up.
I love making socks, even though I am slow at knitting them. It takes me about 1 week 2 days to make one sock, if I knit every evening. I just love making things in the round as it is fascinating to watch something form.
I have crocheted for years and had made some shawls for friends and family. The last one was filet with dolphin's in the middle of the triangle for d-i-l.
I had learned to knit when a teen, but loved crocheting best until I learned to make socks, now I have 2 love's.
Well now that I have been long winded in this message, I will close with a howdy and glad to be here.
GramiH
GramiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Welcome to KH, Grami!

I'm a Grammy, too! I live in the Kent, Washington area...about 2.5 hours north of your town. I have been to Longview many times however. We have friends who live in Kelso, Longview, and Toutle. I also have customers who live in Longview.

Anyways, I think you are a great knitter! We can't all do everything, and if you have mastered socks...more power to ya! I knit lots of sweaters and such, however, I have yet to knit even one sock. I find them intimidating! I don't know why. I really should get on the ball and give it a try! Socks were my 2008 GOAL. That, and entrelac. Tried entrelac last year, and my swatch turned out all catty-wampus!

Again, WELCOME! Keep in touch here, and in the forums. If you need any help in posting links or photos, let us know! We are all happy to help newbies!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
GramiH
Casting On

Hello ArtLady:
It's great being a Grammi, anyway that's normally how I spell it with 2 M's.
I hope that you enjoy our area when you visit. I don't get uptown much any more since everything was moved to the mall's.
Thank you for the hearty "great knitter" reference I liked that. I think that anyone that can knit sweater's are fabulous.....I have a s-i-l that knit's sweater's.....in fact she finished my last one that I gave up on half way through. I say cudo's to the lady as it was beautiful.
Ummmmm, well don't laugh as I am right this moment, but I am self taught in making socks and was half way thru my first pair when I discouvered that I make them inside out. It work's. There are a lot of good tutorials on the net and great books. Now if I can just figure out how to make them two at a time would be wonderful. Again thank you for the compliment.
The hardest part is keeping the yarn on the 1st needle until a person is ready to move the required amounts to the other 2 needles. That's where point protectors come in handy.
I've never tried entrlac......what is it and what does it do for a person?
Try socks much easier on a person.
I do have one question. How does a person get the lil smilies on a page?
Anyway thank you again for the very warm welcome.
GramiH
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Grarmi!

When you are typing a message...there is a smiley face icon up there inbetween the A and the paperclip. Just click the down-arrow by the smiley face, and different smileys will appear. Click the one you like and it will insert itself in the place your cursor was last blinking. You know, the blinking line that designates where your next letter will type into.

Then also, see the little smiley star over to the right of the GOOGLE G in a box? If you click the little smiley star, I think that will help you select your favorite 24 smileys...the ones you think you'd be most likely to use. After you've appointed favorite smilies, (up to 24 I think, but you don't have to pick that many)...I think they will appear to the right of your writing box. Mine are.
I have 24 sitting there. If you change your mind about a favorite smiley, you can edit your favorites by clicking the smiley star again. If you put your cursor over him, a pop out box will say EDIT FAVORITE SMILIES.

I also knit in the round inside out. I didn't realize it until I was hosting a knitalong here at KH. A simple garment called the Tempting II Summer Top. Anyhoo, I had taken some photos of how to add the 'in the round' sleeves to the 'in the round' bodice...and some of the knitters were going HUH?

It was brought to my attention that the rest of the world knits with the RIGHT SIDE on the outside of the tube (garment)...but I knit with the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. Then I just turn it inside out when I'm done! I still prefer my way. I like the needles to be furthest away from me, and I like viewing the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. I dunno why! I thought of this story when you mentioned your socks! Hey, whatever works!

Here is a link for that knitalong for the summertop. You might find the Tempting II or the Tempting I summertops to be very easy and fun to knit! I made both. Tempting II for me, and Tempting I for my daughter.

TEMPTING II SUMMER TOP

Both tops are FREE PATTERNS at www.knitty.com
I have included a link for the pattern in the thread.

(BTW: if you are perplexed with all of our shorthand talk (such as "BTW", or our knitter-talk, such as "thread"....don't be shy to ask me what a term, or abbreviation, means. There is a shorthand dictionary that Amy has provided too, here at KH. When I first joined KH, I was completely baffled by all the abbreviations and knitter-talk. So please ask about anything you are about!)

On the GENERAL KNITTING front page, the abbreviations are a STICKY a the top of all the general threads in GENERAL KNITTING. It is called COMMON ABBREVIATIONS on this Forum!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
GramiH
Casting On

Hello ArtLady:

>>When you are typing a message...there is a smiley face icon up there inbetween the A and the paperclip. Just click the down-arrow by the smiley face, and different smileys will appear. Click the one you like and it will insert itself in the place your cursor was last blinking. You know, the blinking line that designates where your next letter will type into.>>
Looky, I found them how cool is that. Thank you so much. I had to quote the msg before I could see them. Well uh dih on me.

>>Then also, see the little smiley star over to the right of the GOOGLE G in a box? If you click the little smiley star, I think that will help you select your favorite 24 smileys...the ones you think you'd be most likely to use. After you've appointed favorite smilies, (up to 24 I think, but you don't have to pick that many)...I think they will appear to the right of your writing box. Mine are.>>
Yes, I see him/her and I had picked my smilies when I was somhow editing my preferences. Just didn't know how and where to find them to use them. I love the kisses one being thrown.
>>I have 24 sitting there. If you change your mind about a favorite smiley, you can edit your favorites by clicking the smiley star again. If you put your cursor over him, a pop out box will say EDIT FAVORITE SMILIES.>>

Right now I count ten that I had chosen. Wow, it sure does have a pop out box.

>>I also knit in the round inside out. I didn't realize it until I was hosting a knitalong here at KH. A simple garment called the Tempting II Summer Top. Anyhoo, I had taken some photos of how to add the 'in the round' sleeves to the 'in the round' bodice...and some of the knitters were going HUH? >>

Well, I probably would have caught on.

>>It was brought to my attention that the rest of the world knits with the RIGHT SIDE on the outside of the tube (garment)...but I knit with the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. Then I just turn it inside out when I'm done! I still prefer my way. I like the needles to be furthest away from me, and I like viewing the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. I dunno why! I thought of this story when you mentioned your socks! Hey, whatever works! >>

Yes, that is exactly what I do with the socks that I make, I turn them when I get to the toe, after putting the stitches on the lil plastic saftey pins. Then I have to transfer them back to graft the toe. Works for me. I too like to see the work as it progresses. When you work with the needles close to your face do you catch yourself getting them closer to your nose too?

>>Here is a link for that knitalong for the summertop. You might find the Tempting II or the Tempting I summertops to be very easy and fun to knit! I made both. Tempting II for me, and Tempting I for my daughter.>>

I will take a look and get the pattens. Maybe I will try and see what happen's.

>>(BTW: if you are perplexed with all of our shorthand talk (such as "BTW", or our knitter-talk, such as "thread"....don't be shy to ask me what a term, or abbreviation, means. There is a shorthand dictionary that Amy has provided too, here at KH. When I first joined KH, I was completely baffled by all the abbreviations and knitter-talk. So please ask about anything you are about!)>>

Some of the short hand I have figured out, but some still throw's me a curve ball now and then. I will keep that in mind when I don't understand something. My son text me once to my email and it took me three days to figure our what he said.

>>On the GENERAL KNITTING front page, the abbreviations are a STICKY a the top of all the general threads in GENERAL KNITTING. It is called COMMON ABBREVIATIONS on this Forum!>>

I will take a look see and I will rmember where it is next time it is needed.

Again Thanks so very much for you help. Tis greatly appreciated.
GramiH
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for your reply Grami! I'm happy I could help you! Stay in touch!

PS: I don't know how close my work gets to my nose, however, sometimes I have to take off my glasses to focus on something really really close! I'll have to think about that one!

Artlady at Rav